Friday, June 27, 2008

What to Worry about Today



With two kids now, I feel like I'm always worried or nervous about something.

I'm nervous to leave Meg in the room with Kate, unattended. She doesn't have a malicious bone in her body -- and I've mentioned how she adores little sister -- but Meg's quite the curious toddler that could accidentally injure Kate in an attempt to 'love' on her.


My nerves jump a bit when I see that I'm going to need to do two things at once . . . for instance, looking at the clock and realizing I'm going to need to feed Kate AND fix Meg's lunch at the same time. We're working on situations like that . . . and, I'll admit, they are getting easier.


I was worried about Kate's umbilical cord stump . . . it was really irritated after our exam at the doctor on Monday. Dr Ho practically pulled it off when checking to make sure it was OK. It fell off on it's own Tuesday (sniff, sniff), so that worry is now gone.

I get very nervous when Kate sleeps a lot during the day. I remember this worry with Meg, too. I can't shake it; I don't want her to get those days and nights confused. So, we work hard to keep Kate awake for portions of the day . . . and she's sleeping very well at night. Don't get me wrong . . . she's up at least 3 times during the night, but she's going right back to sleep after eating, which is key. I could get up as many times as she needed, as long as she goes back to sleep. I guess that keeping her up during daylight hours is working.


Today's worry: spit up. Kate has a LOT of it. Meg was always a spitter -- but a 'happy' spitter, according to the doctor. Kate is not unhappy about her regurge . . . but the quantity is such that it has me worried. Breastfeeding is going on without a hitch . . . except for the large portion of the meal that comes back up about 30 minutes after she is through.

I know not to worry about spit up. It always looks like more than it is. But, seriously . . . this is a lot.


I did call the doctor, they said watch my dairy intake. Sit her up for 30 minutes following a meal. Don't overfeed. I called the lactation department at Northside to see if their advice was any different . . . they said call the pediatrician. At least I have my bases covered.


So, no dairy for me since yesterday. I'm holding Kate in my lap, freshly fed and raised up about 45 degrees as I write this blog. We are limiting feedings to about 15 minutes, or the first time she 'pops off' the boob. I was putting her back on after a burp, but maybe I was filling the tank past full and causing the overflow. If all of this works, hopefully I can cross another worry off my list before too much longer.

Now I'm worried that I won't be able to eat cheese or drink milk for the next year. In the words of Scarlett O'Hara: I guess I can't worry about that today . . . I'll worry about that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Heather,
I'd LOVE to bring your family dinner when you're ready. Is next week too soon? OR is there still a lot of Hoopla with extended family and such!!Can't wait to meet Kate!

Heather Dahlby said...

Please send me an email . . . I don't recognize your blogger name :)

The Cibulas said...

Hey! I know this is crazy, but I think that user name is Erica. I dont know how and I could be wrong, but I saw it on another blog and it said Erica at the bottom of the message. Maybe a blogger error?? Like I said I could be completely wrong though! Check it out and see???

Anonymous said...

This is crazy! I had no idea that your last name was Dahlby! Oddly enough I work with a girl named Heather Dahlby (go figure). She sells little hand crafts and I couldn't remember her website so I GOOGLE’d her name and who's was the first "Heather Dahlby" I clicked on? Yours! How freaky!
With all that said, by your blog looks as though you’ve been busy! Your oldest daughter is absolutely gorgeous, as I'm sure your newest one will be as well, (congrats by the way) however I think all newborns inside of 6 months look like characters from Lord of the Rings.
.
I read a few of you blogs and was quite impressed, all were entertaining and well written; you should do something like that for a living. I hope everything goes relatively smooth for you over the next few weeks.

Take care,
Jeremiah