Friday, June 13, 2008

No Such Thing as "Later" Around Here

As I'm bustling through the house today, I find myself thinking (in my normal, lazy fashion), "Oh, I'll do that later . . ." Then I stop, think about it, and end up doing it now. There just isn't time for 'later' around here. The way we are living, any minute could change things . . . so procrastination is not an option.

I've done a lot of stuff since Meg went down for her nap about an hour ago. Normally, my first instinct is to run to the computer and check email, etc . . . but today I did things like laundry, changing sheets, dishes, trash, and other sundry household chores. There might not be time to do these things later, should I go into labor.

As for the big question . . . waiting until later to have Kate . . . I think we've made our decision to go ahead with the doctor's suggestion and have her next Wednesday. We won't wait until later for that, either.

I've completely come to terms with my 'missing out on labor' issues. I don't think I'll be missing out . . . as more than one friend has told me, I'm NOT missing the labor. I'm still going to have the contractions and push this little one out. Yes, I'm missing the spontaneity of it all, but I think that I'm OK with it at this point. Actually, it's kind of nice to have my sights set on a date, to have my plans made out, and to know what's going to happen. And, I have to admit that living on the edge like this is getting a bit exhausting. Call me selfish, but it's the truth.

There are just SO many good reasons for us to do this, we've decided it's the best option for us. It's not induction, there are no medications . . . it's just kick-starting the process with a tiny little hook that looks like a crochet needle. Once my water breaks, it's all up to me and Kate.

And, I don't think I'll look back on it all with regret. I'll probably look back on it with relief. I'm sure I'll tell the story that Kate was perfectly happy hanging out with me until I finally decided that it was time . . . that she might never have come out. She'll be labeled my 'stubborn' or 'loafing' child that didn't want to come out and meet the world. I'm sure I'll have a good story to tell in the end.

Next Wednesday -- and no later -- could be Kate's birthday. That is, as I've said a million times now, unless she decides to come earlier. Maybe now that I'm relaxing about it all, she will. That would be awesome.

Oh, and Jim's conference? I think that he's found a way to make it all work. And I don't think he'll ever again say something as self-centered as he did in the doctor's office yesterday . . . I think he realized that, when it comes to the labor and delivery of our kids, I am the one that calls the shots. I'm the one who gets to be self-centered and make the decisions. He was pretty sorry about it all last night, so we are moving forward with our plan and not worrying about his work obligations (well, at least I'M not worried about any of it!).

Gotta go get some stuff done around here . . . I want to enjoy my time with Meg and Jim later this evening, when everyone is home. My focus has shifted from having Kate to enjoying my small family for just a few more days . . . how fast these days will go and and quickly our life is going to change.

Thanks to everyone who wrote their opinions and experiences . . . it has all been so helpful. Any words of encouragement, now that our decision is made, are always welcome ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I've been reading and enjoying your blog for a while and wish you all the blessings you and your family deserve. I'm sure your birth experience will be fantastic, as it will your journey, your experience, your story. You get the best reward of all no matter how it unfolds...Kate. I can't wait to hear your story.

Allyson Winbush

Tiffany Payment said...

Sounds like someone read my email today! It is so wonderful to hear you calm, clear and content!

I am waiting for Wed now!!!!! Oh Kate...how I cannot wait to see you! Give your mommy, sister and daddy a big hug from me!

The Fokens Family said...

Hey Heather,
I'm SO jealous that you are SO ready to have Kate. Miller came on my last day of work. I was looking forward to at least a week at home to do ALL the things like laundry, folding his clothes etc., finish his nursery!! Well, he had other plans...his plans. What a lesson we learn by having to submit to their time table!! It's NOT easy...You're doing such a fantastic job & this will be a fun story to tell Kate.
Lov ya!
Wishing you all the best as you enjoy your fam of three. Relax over there!
E