Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pregnancy Progress Report

4 cm dilated

90% effaced

-1 station (refers to the position of a baby in the birth canal, ranging from -4 to +4 -- a reading of 0 means that the baby is 'engaged' and labor has started -- check out a picture here)

My doctor said I can't really go any further without actually BEING in labor.

We walked around our 3/4 mile neighborhood loop twice tonight, in an effort to 'walk' the baby out. We are also going to attempt to release some oxytocin and prostaglandins tonight . . . in a conventional but unmentionable 'natural' way to bring on labor. In the words of my father, "Jim started this thing, he should help bring an end to it."

Thanks, Dad.

24 hours since Scalini's and no baby yet. We still have 24 hours to go. And, from what my doctor tells me, once this show gets started, it's not going to be long at all . . . so we aren't totally out of the running for that free meal just yet.

Think of me fondly and send all your thoughts of labor and delivery my way, PLEASE.

5 comments:

Morgan and Andy said...

I am totally thinking of you - I so clearly remember my misery and I know you are also feeling it. Come on Kate - everyone's ready!!! She sounds like she may be as stubborn as Grady was - although Grady made us wait past the due date and it sounds like Kate doesn't plan on doing that.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! It sounds like Kate will be arriving very soon. I bet sometime today or Saturday at the latest. Good luck!

The Melda Family said...

We are going to need AT LEAST TWICE DAILY updates now! I hope you are too busy having Kate to update us again now! Hoping today is 'the day' for you!

The Cibulas said...

I'm on the edge of my seat, just waiting for the news of Kate's arrival! I cant stand it anymore!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you stretch your legs LOTS when you get up to pee tonight! :-) I can't believe you've made it almost another week since Audrey's wedding.