Monday, June 16, 2008

Manic Monday


If you are a fan of the The Bangles -- which I totally was in the late 80s and still am today -- then you know this tune . . .

It's just another manic Monday
I wish it was Wednesday
'Cause that's my due day
My I'm-gonna-have-a-baby day
It's just another manic Monday


Okay, so I tweaked the lyrics a bit to fit my own story, but you remember the song, right?

Today is Monday . . . 48 hours until delivery. I thought for awhile that Kate would debut on her own before Wednesday, but I'm giving up on that. She's happy where she is . . . I hope she doesn't hate me for kicking her out mid-week.

We are grocery shopping, visiting the post office, returning items to Target (WITH a receipt becuase, at Target, you have to sign away your first born if you don't have the reciept) . . . basically filling the day with many things to help get us get closer to Kate, one hour at a time.

I know -- you are probably SO tired of hearing about this -- I'm very sorry. I just have nothing else on my mind.

Well, nothing else except a little fear-on-the-brain. I won't lie, I'm feeling a bit scared and overwhelmed at the idea of TWO kids by the end of this week. I realize it's a bit too late for second guessing . . . but, it's not really second guessing that's going on. We WANT two girls, for sure. I'm just a bit terrified of having two . . . of mothering two girls . . . of starting that whole job in just two days.

Maybe it's because I KNOW that I'm delivering Wednesday, so I have time to agonize over this. I don't know why, but this weekend . . . it all really started to hit me hard.

Changing two sets of diapers.
Bathing two girls.
Feeding a newborn AND a toddler -- each of whom has very unique needs.
Entertaining a toddler and caring for a newborn, at the SAME time.
Teaching and raising two females in this crazy, crazy world.
And that's just the beginning . . .

No need for the 'you'll do great' comments. I know I'll make it. I know this will be fantastic, and that our family won't miss a beat. I keep telling myself that MILLIONS and BILLIONS of people have two kids (and more, certainly) . . . so we'll be fine, I realize.

Just staring down the barrel at it makes it that much more intimidating.

So, Manic Monday it is. I'm freaking out a bit, but . . . it really doesn't matter. We are officially on the clock, counting down to Delivery Day.

No comments: