Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Together for the First Time

"That one is fine, " I tell the camera lady. The camera lady who comes to your hospital room to take the terrible, horrible picture of your newborn . . . and then expects you to spend a fortune on this first 'portrait'.

"Are you sure? We can do another . . . " she replies.

I'm anxious. I know what is about to happen, and I've been waiting for it for 9 months . . . probably longer. I can hear all kinds of happy sounds in the hallway.

"NO." I say. I just want her out of my room. I sign something -- really, it could have said anything -- and scoop Kate into my arms. I sit down, adjust my robe, and make myself comfortable in the one chair we have in the hospital room. I'm sitting up straight, Kate proudly in my arms . . . and I loudly say something like, "Okay, Jim . . . bring her in!"


Meg met her little sister, Kate, at about noon on June 19th. It was the day after Kate's birth, and two days before Meg's 2nd birthday. Meg wore a "Big Sister" shirt, Kate wore a shirt with "Kate" embroidered on it, and I wore my PJs.

Meg bounded in the room. Bounded -- literally. She ran in to see me -- running directly to me -- so happy and so excited, it made my heart explode. I think my heart truly exploded.


Meg sort of went right past me . . . as if all the excitement was about running in the room, not what was waiting IN the room for her to see. Quickly, she recovered and turned around to face me . . . then said something like, "Kate!" as soon she saw her baby sister in my arms.

Instantly, Meg wanted to touch her. She was so excited. Her face turned from person to person in the room, trying to figure out WHY everyone was there and WHAT they were looking at. There was one thing that was without question though -- Meg knew that Kate was her sister. After all, she'd been hearing about this "Kate" for quite some time . . . it was about time for her to finally meet her. She leaned over and hugged her sister within seconds of meeting her. She wanted me to take the blankets off . . . "Off, Mommy!" she kept saying. Meg wanted to see her sister, from head to toe.





I was trying to take it all in. I was watching Meg with the widest eyes, trying to feel what she was feeling and wondering beyond wonder WHAT was going on in her little mind. I had been looking forward to this moment almost as much as the act of giving birth to Kate itself. I couldn't wait to see them both together. I wanted to soak it up like sunshine and never ever forget one second of it. MY girls . . . our girls . . . two of them.



Meg and I talked about Kate, her sister, as one who was in Mommy's tummy. Now she had come out to meet us all. "Mommy tummy all gone!" Meg said. I laughed . . . everyone laughed . . . because she was right. No more tummy for Mommy. Just a new baby girl instead.

"Hold you," was the next thing Meg said. She wanted to hold me (or have me hold her), but I couldn't exactly manage both girls in the hospital room chair . . . so Jim piped up and asked, "Do you want to hold Kate?"

"Yeah!" The most enthusiastic response you can imagine. She definitely wanted to hold her sister . . . she was very, very excited at the idea.

Jim settled into the bench in the room (which doubled as his bed for the two nights we were there). Meg climbed up with vigor and put her arms out to take Kate. With a little help from Daddy, Meg held her sister for the first time. Again, she wanted all the blankets off so she could examine Kate's little body. Meg wanted to hug Kate, to squeeze her.

And she was smiling -- BEAMING -- the entire time.

It lasted about 10 minutes, the meeting of Meg and Kate. After about 10 minutes, the commotion died down, and we went on to visiting everyone in the room . . . my parents, Jim's family, my cousin Kathryn. Meg received some 'big sister' gifts and was entertained by those more than by her new sibling. The initial meeting was over. But it was unforgettable.

It all went exactly how I'd dreamed it would. Meg super excited, thrilled at the new event in her lift. Kate, in true newborn fashion, lying there and letting it all happen around her. Family all around us to experience the moment.

They'll never remember that day . . . as they grow up, neither girl will remember a time when the other didn't exist. And, I guess in a way, I'll feel that way too. But, I know I can't forget that afternoon of June 19th when all of our family was together for the first time.



2 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Sniff Sniff...loved your post. You are SO good at capturing the moment in words...I almost felt like I was there too:)
E

The Cibulas said...

How endearing! It sounds like a wonderful moment!