Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Ten Things I Didn't Know


Ten things I didn’t know about being the mother of a nearly-two-year-old toddler . . .

1. What a BIG DEAL bubbles are. Bubbles on the playground, bubbles in the bathtub, bubbles in your milk. All of them are totally fascinating.

2. That one word conversations could be so exciting . . . and so tiring. And figuring out what she wants when two random words are put together is down right exhausting.

3. How easy it would be. Sure, I complain about some things . . . but really, Meg makes it easy. And she makes me look like Supermom at times. Thanks, kiddo.

4. How much she really knows about what’s going on at our house – and how fast she learns. She listens to everything and understands nearly 100% of the conversation spinning around her . . . and she’s not even two yet.

5. What waking up every morning would be like. I had no idea. One of my very favorite things in the whole world is to get up, head to her room, and see her smiling face first thing in the morning. Jim and I fight over who gets to do it, on occasion.

6. That I’d start buying certain items two-at-a-time . . . like bottles of stain remover, boxes of goldfish, bottles of juice, and packages of hair clips (those buggers vanish so quickly!).

7. That they can help around the house. It’s a game for Jim and I . . . “Let’s see if she’ll do it!” is what we say to one another. Our current chores include: putting away shoes, putting ON shoes, unloading the dishwasher with help, feeding the cats, cleaning up toys at days’end, putting away laundry, working as a messenger (as in, ‘Take this to Daddy’ or ‘Hand me the Remote’), cleaning her own hands and face, and placing appropriate items in the trash can without being asked.

8. The peacefulness of mid-day. Naptime is a great time for mommies, too. (And I get to re-live the whole fun of getting her out of bed in the middle of the day – a treat UNLESS I have to wake her up.)

9. How proud I could be of each accomplishment, big or small. How constantly impressed I’d be with her. From using her fork to her bustling vocabulary, that pride gets me every time. And showing off her accomplishments (aka ‘party tricks’) is a lot of fun, too.

10. That the love they give you would feel like sunshine in your heart. I literally feel warm inside when she looks at me and says, “Hug” or “Hold You.”
I think it goes without saying: I love being a mom.

1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

I LOVE Meg's "party tricks"...very nicely put. Does she still roar like a lion? Or is that too babyish now. I need a Meg fix!!
Erica