Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Relapse

Perhaps I spoke too soon with my 5:30pm post yesterday . . .

Meg's fever returned around 7:30pm and skyrocketed to 104.7. I was totally freaked. She's never had a fever that high . . . and I've never felt her little body so hot. She was on a downward spiral . . . going from good mood to total grouch in a hurry. Once I realized what was going on, I quickly changed her clothing and tucked her into my bed . . . she needed sleep, but there was no way I could put her anywhere but right next to me.

The 7:30pm dose of Tylenol did not do the trick . . . we had to wait it out until the 11:30pm dose before any relief would come. During those four long hours, Meg and I dozed in and out in my bed . . . I'd sleep 10-15 minutes, here and there . . . and every time I would move or act like I was getting up, Meg would roll over, look at me with her glazed eyes and say, "Where you goin', Mommy?"

And when she slept, I cried. Poor Jim listened to me cry on the phone . . . I was (am) just exhausted from it all. I couldn't act scared or upset when Meg was awake, so it seems that when she was safely sleeping, I would attempt to relax and inevitably end up crying.

At about 2am, Meg's fever finally broke. She sat up in the bed, all sweaty and wet. She was confuzed -- dazed -- and she scared me a little bit, she was so out of it. A few sips of apple juice and some back rubbing from mommy, then she was back to sleep. I, finally, was able to sleep too . . . knowing that the fever was gone and would (hopefully) stay away at least for a few hours.

Meg seems better today, but she's still not herself. Not really eating, just hanging out for another day. Kate -- God love her -- has been a trooper through it all. It seems that she barely caught what her sister has . . . she's been eating and sleeping regularly since yesterday afternoon. Her battle was short lived on Monday night, and she never even had much of a fever.

I'm exhausted. It's been a long couple of nights, and the days have sucked, too. I just hope we are out of the woods and that Meg is over the hump for sure this time.

But, I tell you what, you are never given more than you can handle. It seems that when one of the girls has been at her worst, the other one is asleep. Kate was wretching uncontrollably on Monday night while her sister was tucked in her bed. Yesterday morning, while cleaning up Meg's mess and getting her settled on the couch, Kate slept in past 8:30am (unheard of around here!). And when Meg's fever peaked around 8pm last night, Kate was off in dreamland and was not heard from again until 7:15am.

Hopefully this post does not institute a similar relapse as the one last night did . . .I don't think I'll make it. Thanks for thinking of us . . . and I hope to have something more fun to post about tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

How awful! Please don't forget that you have lots of friends around who are more than happy to help when you need us. If something like that ever happens again, please call me. Clay can take over Jack duty and I will be there in a heartbeat! I know how hard a sick little one is, but I can only imagine how hard 2 sick little ones are!