Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Countdown to Disney

Now that everyone has recovered from their illness . . . including myself, who had a touch of a cold over the last day or so . . . we are finally able to move forward and focus on the next big adventure around here: Disney World.


Countdown to Disney: 15 days. Two weeks from Wednesday. I can't wait.


I've mentioned it before: I'm looking forward to this trip maybe more than any vacation I've ever taken. It's not the rides and events or the warmer weather . . . or even simply the chance to get out of town that excites me (though all of those are great). It's the chance to see my girls experience the wonder that Walt Disney created down there in Orlando.




It seems that Jim, too, is stoked about our trip. Every time we have a chance to talk about anything . . . during dinner, after the girls are in bed, pillow talk . . . we always go back to discussions of our Disney vacation. It is consuming both of our minds, apparently. I'm just glad to know that my husband is as excited as I am.


Things we have decided for sure . . .


Double Stroller. Double jogger, more specifically. Yes, it's big and bulky. But both girls can ride comfortably in it, and it is certainly easy to maneuver with its rotating front wheel. We have gone round and round about the stroller . . . take two umbrellas? the sit and stand stroller? just one stroller, and we'll carry Kate some of the time? It's been the biggest decision we've had to make for this trip. In the end, the big ole' double jogger won.


I'm flying alone with the girls to Orlando, and Jim will meet us there. Now, this one was my choice. Call me crazy, if you must. I just figured I'd rather fly by myself then have to drive. Jim can build it into is work travel, and we don't even have to pay for his ticket (and Meg & my tickets are free with ff points, as usual). Flying is SO much quicker, and it's got to be easier than 6+ hours in the car with two young ones. The flight is short . . . we'll make it . . . the biggest challenge will be getting that double stroller through the airport.


We have dining reservations at Story Book Princess Dining (dinner), Chef Mickeys (breakfast), and Cinderella's Royal Table (breakfast).


We are going to go with 4 day park hopper passes, and spend the first evening we arrive at the Magic Kingdom. The plan is to get to the hotel, have everyone nap, then bust out to MK for an evening of character meet-and-greets and a ride on Dumbo. We've heard these are both done BEST at the end of the day, and this will be the best day of the trip to take advantage of that timing. The end of the day Thurs-Sat will most likely not be the time to try to do these types of events . . . we figure our two little ones won't be doing as well late in the day as the trip wears on.



We are going to grocery shop when we get there. Sounds nuts, but we are doing it. The theme parks allow you to bring in a cooler, as long is it does not have wheels. When we found this little tidbit on the Disney website, Jim and I both thought it was a fantastic idea to pack what we can for our days at the parks. Juice boxes, sandwiches, snacks . . . not so much for the cost, but the conveninece. It will be SO easy to just whip out what we need when we need it, instead of dealing with the lines and the wait to get any kind of (junk food) snack.


There are still many decisions that must be made between now and the 25th. I have to sit down and do some serious math . . . how many meals Kate will need, how many diapers, what the girls will wear each day (clothing is important, considering ALL the pictures I'm sure I'll take). But I figure I'll take care of that over the next week or so.


Jim worries that I have my hopes up too much . . . that Meg may not take to the characters, or things might not go as well as I have them pictured in my mind. I agree, to some degree . . . and I am trying to keep myself grounded. I know they are young. I know this is a big trip. But I also know that Meg is going to eat up every bit of Disney . . . so if she doesn't hug Minnie or tell Cinderella, "You can't order me to stop dreaming!" as she says she's going to, it will still be a fantastic trip.



I could scream . . . I'm so excited (so much for being grounded). I welcome and Disney tips or tricks you might now of . . . but no comments about 'they are so young' or 'don't get your hopes up' because I know all of that already. Just let me be excited -- and share the fun vicariously through the blog :)


And finally, just to show you what I'm talking about when I say that Meg is sooooooo ready for this trip . . . here is Exhibit A.




(For those of you who don't recognize it, that's 'A Whole New World' from Disney's Aladdin. Oh, and a little nose picking in the middle, just to make you laugh.)

4 comments:

Twinkletoes said...

So stinking cute! Have a blast on the trip! The shirts are SO ADORABLE! OMG! Can't wait to see pictures! The video is just priceless! I especially love, "Turn it around please!"

The Cibulas said...

OMG!!! That is the CUTEST video ever! I think I watched it one too many times!

Heather Dahlby said...

The 'turn it around please' was, of course, a request to turn the video camera's LCD screen so she could see herself. She's too much :)

And I love her interpretation of the words -- and her refusal to let me sing along. Oh, that Meg.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine has a website relating to Walt Disney World. Check out this page on the site. http://www.guide2wdw.com/tipofthe.htm
It has many different tips and tricks, such as how to get out of the park and back to your car quicker than everyone else. Enjoy!