Thursday, January 3, 2008

Settling In

Christmas is packed up and resting peacefully in our basement until next year. New Year has come and gone, this time with a great party with friends that Jim and I truly enjoyed. Now it’s time to settle in to 2008 and get back to “life as usual” at the Dahlby house.

What does that mean? It means Jim goes back to traveling, Meg goes back to regular naps, and I go back to . . . well, all the other stuff I do. Cleaning, feeding, photography, blogging, etc. Time to get back to work for me, too.

I’ve been thinking about ways that I want to make 2008 better than 2007 . . . not necessarily resolutions, but things I’d like to accomplish in this year. Maybe a few changes I’d like to make in myself or my work, or just “stuff” I’d like to get done.

Here is the list, so far – in no particular order because, well, it’s hard enough to get this stuff done . . . I don’t want to put pressure on myself by prioritizing.

*Get a business license/tax ID/bank account for HD Portraits. Also, follow all the business/tax rules I should be following to make my company ligit in 2008.


*Be less judgmental. Stop worrying so much about others . . . and realize that it really doesn’t matter, anyway.


*Do more with the décor in the house . . . kitchen window treatments, plantation shutters, front hall table, pictures in the front hallway, repaint kitchen cabinet doors.


*All three “kids” bedrooms upstairs need work . . . Meg needs a new big girl room in time for New Baby, New Baby needs a nursery, and we need to decide what to do with that 3rd room. This “work” also includes getting Meg to sleep in her new room, when it’s completed . . . I’m hoping that won’t be too hard.


*Finishing the Basement. Well, I have nothing to do with the actual WORK, but I’m sure it’s going to take up a bunch of my time here in the next several months as we get the project started with a contractor.


*Eat at home more – even when I’d RATHER go out. Try new recipes, too.


*Smile more – especially in public.

*Do nice things for Jim – little, surprise things to let him know I love him. He does stuff like that for me all the time, and I know how good it feels. This year, it’s my turn.


*Convince my parents to suck it up and buy a car seat. THAT would make life easier, for sure.

*Stand up for myself and for my work with HD Portraits. Don’t let clients take advantage of me, and don’t be afraid to talk about money. My product is worth it.

*Play with Meg more. And more. And more.

Of course . . . now that I think about it, really these things need to be accomplished in the next 6 months because after June 25th (that is my NEW and OFFICIAL due date, btw) life will change and I don’t know WHAT I’ll get done.

So, this is my list of things to do before New Baby arrives. Stuff I’d like to accomplish in the first half of 2008.

Gosh, I should get to work.

No comments: