Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Almost a Day Off







We had a really great day today . . . dare I say, almost like a day off from my mommy responsibilities. Meg and I journeyed to
Ink
-- an interactive neighborhood for kids up in Gainesville, GA.

It was so much fun for both Meg and I . . . we met up with some friends, so kids played while mommies chatted. The museum was like a little neighborhood, so we followed the kids from the grocery store to the library, to the playground and then back again, all while they got to explore and make-believe. There was even a ‘dress up theatre’ complete with boy AND girl attire, from head to toe. All of this for the bargain price of $8.00 – can’t beat it.

(Side note – one minor irritation that goes for this place and any other kid-type venue – I HATE that the charge the parents to get in. Great that my less-than-2-year-old gets in free . . . but I’d almost rather just go ahead and pay for her so that I can get in free. That makes more sense to me. They totally trap you because they CAN – you HAVE to pay because you certainly can’t turn your kid loose and wait outside! What a rip – just charge for all ages (well, all walking-age kids) and let parents in free, would ‘ya?)

I really do relish these days when I can enjoy some time with a friend while Meg is completely and totally having a blast. I can have some adult time that is guilt-free – not feeling like my time with my friend takes away from my time with Meg. She plays and plays and I get a break from the day-in-day-out routine of playing WITH her. And – yes, I’ll admit it – Meg also gets worn out on days like this and sleeps like a baby for most of the mid-afternoon. THAT is a nice side-effect of playdates . . . extra long naptime. So, between the hours of playing and the hours of sleeping, I have myself a pseudo day off from mommyhood.

Admit it – you like days like that too. Who wouldn’t? It doesn’t make you a bad parent. Gulit-free adult time . . . it’s rare these days, but always coveted. Today, I got a good dose.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh wow! We totally need to check that place out. Much closer than the one downtown. Thanks for the tip -- sure looks like Meg (an Mommy!) had fun.