Tuesday, October 9, 2007

They Grow Up Too Fast

Meg and Mommy -- Oct 2006 and Oct 2007
I can start this blog off by saying this is probably not the last time I’ll write about this subject. It’s just the first time it’s crossed my mind to share my thoughts on it.

Meg is growing up way too fast. I look at her and I simply can’t believe that just one year ago she was my little tiny baby, nursing 10 times a day and wanting you to hold her with you when she slept. This time last year, I didn’t think I’d ever live my life more than 3 hours at a time (between feedings) . . . and I never thought I’d be able to get out and about in a “normal” way again. I wish someone had told me how fast those days go. Well, people told me, but I couldn’t see it . . . when you are IN those days, they certainly don’t seem like they are going by very fast.

But they do.

Tonight, she let me rock her for about 10 minutes . . . a very rare treat. We used to rock EVERY night for 30-45 minutes . . . but we haven’t done it since I stopped nursing her 2 ½ months ago. She prefers to be put right into her crib with her lovey. No rocking necessary -- but thanks, mom, for trying. I used to complain about having to rock her . . . well, not really complain, but “gripe” about the amount of time it would take to put her down for the night. But, then again, on some nights I sit there forever holding her so close while she slept peacefully on my chest, listening to her bedtime music and rocking rocking rocking. I would think, “I’ll get up after one more song . . . “ and, before I knew it, the CD would be over.

Now I miss those days. I miss her needing me as much as she once did. I miss nursing her . . . that I miss a LOT. She’s turning from my baby to my toddler, right before my eyes.

My friend and I were talking last night about her 4 year old, and I think she put it so well . . . she said she just wants to bottle him up and keep him exactly how he is right now. She says that 4 is her favorite age so far. Of course, every age and stage is every mom’s favorite, really. And, if we bottled them up, we miss out on all the fun things that come with new ages and stages. I guess that’s why they can’t be bottled.

I did a one-year shoot today for a cute little boy, and his mom asked me if I had been sad when Meg turned one. I think that her birthday was so exciting, I wasn’t very sad about the event . . . but, now that it has come and gone, I can feel a twinge of woe about her growth. I do miss my baby.

Yet, when given an opportunity to share Meg’s milestones with other moms today at swimming class, I wanted to share the most “grown up” thing that Meg can do. As if to show off how BIG she’s getting. I told everyone that she eats with a fork and spoon now – which is our big thing around here lately – but how can she be big enough to do that already?!

One year ago, I couldn’t wait to have a walker and talker. Now, one year later, I can’t wait to have a new baby to start all over with . . . but not to replace Meg, of course. I want to watch her continue to grow and change with every day. I couldn’t dare bottle her . . . I can’t wait to see what she becomes.





No comments: