Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Rain

Let’s here it for the rain. It has been so gloomy and dreary the past 3 days because of the rain. The clouds have only let the sun peek through momentarily, then squashed him away with their gray puffiness. Ah, the rain.

Some people love the rain. My closest childhood friend always loved rainy days. Another way of proving that ‘opposites attract’ -- I have always disliked them. It could be because of my curly hair that I hate rain . . . rainy days are never good hair days for me. It could be because of my cold nature that I hate rain . . . rain always makes me so wet and cold, even in July. I’m just not a big fan of rain.

But, these past few rainy days haven’t been bad at all. First of all, we needed them . . . our drought is so terrible. The drought is the first story on the local news every night. Now that we have rain, the drought is STILL the first story on the news. I’ve driven over Lake Allatoona, our local water source, and seen the scary remnants of boat docks and buoys sitting on the lake beds, no water at all to keep them afloat. You think that the lack of water won’t really affect you, until you see a sight like that. I am even starting to worry that they might ration water in our homes. I take water for granted – just like everyone else. What if we just didn’t have any more to use?! I’m certainly glad we’ve had a little rain to help with our drought, even if it was just a little help.

Another reason that the rain hasn’t been bad is that it’s given me a couple of days to spend with Meg. Two photo shoots have been rescheduled because of the rain, meaning that I’ve been free to play with my baby and relax a bit. Meg gets a big kick out of standing in puddles and touching rain-soaked things. She loves to rub my car when it’s wet . . . and splash her little hands in any water that has collected in our driveway. It’s fun to have had these past couple of days to share the rain with her. Much appreciated, Mr. Precipitation.

These past few days have also been good because I’m just feeling good. Life is good. I can’t complain.

So, let’s here it for the rain. It’s been good while it lasted. The sun will come out tomorrow.

No comments: