Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Bloggy Backlog


I realized that in my grouchy weekend of arguing with Jim, I did manage to have some real fun with my family. And I neglected to Blog it . . . what a shame. On this Wednesday morning, as we get ready to head to my parents for the day (which means possibly no blog tomorrow!), I thought I’d catch up.

Last Friday, Meg had a fantastic “first.” She didn’t amaze us with a new vocabulary item, and she didn’t consume something that was funny or cute or unique. Not that kind of first. She went to her first parade. I had learned from a neighbor that Lassiter High – the school across the street from our neighborhood – was having their Homecoming Parade right around the corner from us . . . so I was determined to take Meg to this exciting event. Jim was traveling but arrived home just in time to load Meg in the Jeep (stroller) and shimmy on over to the festivities.

I love LOVE doing things like that with our little girl. To watch her as she just takes in all the chaos and excitement around her is so much fun for me. I can’t get enough of her amazed looks, her big eyes, her constant clapping, cheering, and giggling. When I hear about events like this, I just can’t wait to attend them. As she grows, I know there is going to be more and more that I can enjoy with her . . . and I find that I’m impatient for those experiences! I want to take her to Disney . . . to the Circus . . . to the movies . . . anywhere that kids love. With time, Mommy. Just wait. As I’ve learned, they grow SO fast . . . these times will come (and go) so quickly.

But, I digress . . . the parade, that’s what I was talking about. Jim and I both were in awe at the event that the parade really was. The floats were huge! The homecoming girls were beautiful (did we look like that in high school?). The candy thrown from the parade participants was magnificent. All in all, the parade was quite a spectacle, and we all had a great time. Mind you, it went from the Home Depot parking lot to the school . . . maybe ¼ of a mile. But still, it was awesome.

The other “first” that Meg experienced over my grouchy weekend was truly a “second.” We took Meg to Georgia Tech to tailgate for the GT/Clemson game. I say it was a first because it was her first time getting all dolled up and roaming around the campus . . . actually experiencing the event . . . but we did, in fact, take her to a brief tailgate last year when she was about 3 months old.

Meg love it. Of course – she friggin’ loves just about anything. We strolled her around (showing her off, of course) and let her get down and run. We had a great time watching her at this event, too. We took her to the pep rally and watched her cheer and clap for the band. We watched her fall out of a folding chair, too . . . but she was OK.

So, in spite of myself, we had a great weekend. Sunday we took Meg to a park filled with other kids, which she loves . . . and Sunday night we capped everything off with about an hour’s worth of playing in the driveway.

When I look at all the nice stuff we did, it’s hard to remember why I was so grouchy.

No comments: