Monday, August 25, 2008

Two Things

Two things that are getting me through the days right now:

1) A photographer friend of mine took a photo of herself, just 3 months post-baby. She posted it on the internet and captioned it with: "Could be better, could be worse."

That has made all the difference in helping me with my own personal body image . . . that unique outlook, that silver lining. I find myself thinking the same thing now when I look at myself in the mirror.


It helps, it really does. Try it for yourself.

I'm very grateful to Lori for sharing her outlook with me . . . it's made my days just a little bit more bearable.

2) I recently read an interesting book about motherhood in which the idea of a mother's guilt was tackled head on. We all carry too much guilt . . . more than we should on almost any given day. Guilt for what we should do . . . guilit for what we shouldn't . . . it's more than one person can bear, at times.

Advice the authors gave: replace the word 'guilt' with the word 'regret' when you are feeling bad about something, and see if you really should change your actions.

For example, "I feel so guilty about leaving Jim with the kids and going to get a pedicure." Replaced with 'regret' . . . "I regret leaving Jim with the kids and going to get a pedicure." If so, then the pedicure is probably not the right thing to do. If not, then go . . . there is no shame in doing something for yourself.



I find that I do carry a lot of guilt. Unnecessary guilt. We all do. Especially those with more than one kid . . . there is constant guilt over not being able to be everything to both of them at the same time.


But really evaluating my guilt has helped me manage it. I find that I can get rid of some of it . . . and it helps me to better exert my emotions where they should be exerted (like in loving my kids!).

It helps, it really does. Again, try it for yourself.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That's a great book! I had read it during my non-working period last winter -- maybe I need to read it again...