Thursday, August 7, 2008

Girls Shoes

Meg got some new kicks last weekend.

I love girls shoes. I do, I love them. I love the clothes, too. My friends with only boys have commented on how fun it must be to dress TWO girls. It is, yes. Of course the clothes are fun -- and with two, matching clothes are to die for. But the shoes . . . oh, I love dressing their feet most of all.

I don't know what it is about the shoes. Black patent leather is my FAVORITE (as was once previously blogged about). When shopping last weekend, I found some cute mary-jane-ish black shoes for Meg . . . and but they weren't the shiny black that I so adore. The sales woman tried to get me to buy them anyway. I looked at her and said -- literally, "Oh, no. Plain leather won't work. I waited my whole life to have girls, and they WILL have patent leather. I won't settle." I think her response was just a blank stare.

Meg is sort of a shoe snob, I'll admit. We are pretty much a Stride Rite exclusive family. Once I discovered that Meg's feet were wide -- and I was finally convinced that the whole 'wide' thing wasn't really a scam by Stride Rite trying to keep you in more expensive shoes -- we have only shopped at one place. They have everything a girl could need . . . pink shoes, white shoes, shiny shoes, sparkly shoes. Why waste time anywhere else?

Last weekend, Meg got her preschool sneakers. They are plain white with some small sparkle, and they look awesome when worn with (you guessed it) lacy socks. They are, I'll admit, at least a full size too big. Meg doesn't mind. She was so happy to get them, she's worn them nonstop ever since she took them out of their navy blue striped box.


You see, Meg loves her shoes at least as much as I do . . . if not more. When she received her last pair of sneakers, she literally would NOT take them off. She wore them to nap, and she left them waiting for her at the foot of the stairs at bed time (which took coaxing, no lie). At least this time around, we are taking them off in the house . . . about an hour or so after we've returned from whatever outing required shoes in the first place.

Kate? Oh, she has shoes. My 7 week old has a pair of perfectly white hand-me-down, mary-jane style Keds that big sister wore at the same young age. I haven't ventured to put them on her little feet just yet . . . it seems that our Katy-did has a tiny little foot that is somewhat narrow (like her mom). She'll wear them. Just give us time.



And when they are big enough, I'll start buying the girls matching shoes. I might cry when I buy them their first set of matching black patent leathers. THAT will be a day for the baby books, for sure.

4 comments:

The Cibulas said...

How fun! We just bought Jack TWO new pair of shoes today...his feet are growing again! I had so much fun. I dont know that he cared for it as much as I did. Maybe one day I'll have a girl to share the joy with;)

Becky said...

We of the wide foot are also Stride Rite devotees. Since I’m mom to a boy, and stuck buying only two types of shoes – sneakers and the seasonally appropriate “other” (sandals in spring/summer, dress brown in fall/winter), I figure I can compensate by buying myself more shoes :) That’s logical, right?

Natalie said...

I have girl-envy!! I can say that Alex is definitely a shoe-lover too...but no patent-leather here. Boo! Maybe I could find some patent-leather crocs?? :)

Anne said...

I love it! Wait until they are older - Madi is a Tomboy but I am trying to unleash the inner girl. She likes shoes and jeans - I am guessing you took those pictures? Heather they are wonderful you are very talented! I hope you can take some of my kids one day!
Hugs