Thursday, August 21, 2008

Family Vacation



As you know, we returned Wednesday from our family vacation to Kansas. Six days after we left, we returned home with both kids and a renewed sense of sanity. It was a great trip for everyone involved, as I've mentioned. Meg and Kate loved spending time with the grandparents, who couldn’t get enough of them for the entire week we were there. Jim and I got to rest and relax with the extra help with had with both girls. It was just what I wanted from this family vacation – down time, time with the family, and even a little ME time.

When I started thinking about our trip, I realized that it is pretty amazing how the idea of a vacation changes as soon as you put the word ‘family’ in front of it. It used to be that a vacation included lots of activity, awesome food at awesome restaurants, new sights and sounds in a far away destination, and (of course) a few late nights with everyone’s favorite vacation friend, Mr. Alcohol. But a family vacation is all together different.

As soon as you become a family (and by that I mean have a child), vacation isn’t the same any more. ‘Vacation’ changes – morphs and then splits, really – into one of two possible scenarios: the kind where you go without your kids and the kind where your kids go with you.

Without your kids, vacation somewhat resembles what it once was . . . with lots of meals out and maybe even a late night or two. You may even choose to travel far away because you know you can handle the flight (but the kids couldn't). But on those vacations, along with your swimsuit, toiletries, and other various items, you pack a little bit of guilt in your suitcase. You miss your kids, and there are plenty of times on the trip that you think of them and wish they were there with you. Oh – trust me – there are plenty of times you are NOT thinking of your kids on those kid-less vacations . . . but that new element of the one (or two) you left behind is something that will always be on any vacation you take without them.

With your kids, vacation is completely different than it’s ever been before. Some might say that it's not really a vacation at all because of all the prep and work that goes in to the before, during, and after. That is the kind of vacation we took to Kansas . . . both kids in tow, sharing all of the fun that Kansas has with our bright eyed little girls. A family vacation. It took me about 4 days to pack. I think we ate only one meal in a restaurant because it’s SO much easier to eat at home. Each and every thing we did – or planned to do – had to take place between feedings for Kate and between naps for Meg. We didn’t stay up late. We didn't go anywhere new . . . that can be a risky endeavor with two kids. Who wants to brave the unknown with two kids along? I didn't even drink very much (I guess I have Kate to thank for that).

But, as different as it might be, a family vacation is really worth it, as I learned in this last week.
Meg loved flying on the airplane. She was excited at everything new she saw, from the airport to the plane itself to the baggage coming around the carousel. Meg enjoyed being with Nana and Papa . . . she loved the petting zoo, the boat, swimming, sleeping in a 'cubby' at the lake house . . . just about every single thing we did brought a smile to her face. All of the packing and planning was completely worth the effort. I got to enjoy my little girl enjoying her trip, and that was enough for me to have a great time myself.


Kate had fun, I'm sure . . . in her own 8 week old kind of way. Having her along this time . . . and watching Meg have a blast . . . made be so excited for the future summer trips when both girls go on family vacations with us and enjoy each minute. I can't wait. Really . . . I can't. I look forward to all the fabulous trips to come. I'm so anxious to experience the ultimate family vacation . . . and I think that DisneyWorld would be an awesome place for the Dahlby girls to celebrate their 1st and 3rd birthdays next summer. Unfortunately, Daddy Dahlby isn't on board with that idea just yet.

Until a vacation that gradious, I think we'll settle for our little trips here and there. We will have another big family trip during the holidays, when we journey back to Kansas and Iowa to celebrate Christmas with the family. That one should be a little easier, now that we have our first family trip under our belt. Even if it's not easier, at least I know that it will be worth it.


3 comments:

Becky said...

You are so right -- couldn't have said it better myself.

(we are 99.9999% we are doing "4" at Disney World next year)

The Cibulas said...

It looks like it was incredible trip. Im sure it was wonderful to have helping hands!

Keisha said...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks about my kids when I am without them!!