Monday, August 4, 2008

Therapy


I guess the 'baby blues' is nothing a little retail therapy can't help cure. That, and a fantastic 6 week old cutie that sleeps through the night. And a little me time.

All of which we were able to experience this weekend.

Let's start with my cutie, the little peanut born just 40 days ago. She's been a great night sleeper, almost from the beginning . . . minus the first 2 days when she had the day/night mix up going on. Since we 'righted her' she's been very good . . . stretching her night time dozing longer and longer with each passing week. By week 4 (and nearly back to birth weight), I could let HER wake ME up through the night, which was a treat after a month of waking up every 3 hours. Then at 5 weeks we were going from 10-11pm bedtime until about 4am . . . again, another treat.


Then Friday night, Kate went down around 10:45pm and slept until 5:45am. Saturday she was out by 10:30pm and not up until 6:15am. Last night, out by 10:00pm, up at 6:30am. This, my friends, is what we consider sleeping through the night. SLEEP. Now there is some true, natural therapy for you.

I cannot believe that between 6 and 7 weeks, Kate is sleeping through the night. And I thought Meg was easy.

Incidentally . . . I'm finding that I think that more and more . . . that I thought Meg was easy. If Meg was easy, then Kate is a cinch. Sure, you read about the crying and fussing here over the past few weeks, but I think that is all very much to be expected with a newborn. And I think we are out of that phase. So . . . does that mean that at nearly 7 weeks, we are moving from crying and complaining to sleeping and cooing? One can hope.

In between some of Kate's long night time naps, Mommy and Daddy got out and did a little shopping this weekend. Ahhh . . . retail therapy. I now own two skirts and two pairs of shorts that fit. Plus a couple of capri pants. And a few more shirts. Now I don't have to do my own laundry every other day so that I have something to wear. THAT made me feel better, for sure.

I think what made me feel better this weekend was that I had some time to do what I wanted. It's really hard now . . . because in order to do what I wanted, Jim had to go along with me. I needed help. He had to watch the baby for the 3 or 4 hours that we wandered and shopped. He took care of Kate when we got home so I could clean out my closet . . . out with the maternity, in with the 'fat girl' clothing (for now) . . . another task that had been haunting me for weeks. Jim had to take a back seat to what he might have needed to do this weekend so that I could do what I wanted. Jim doesn't mind doing that . . . I know he doesn't . . . I just hate to ask. Asking for this kind of help is hard . . . it feels selfish to me. But, at dinner on Friday night, I asked . . . and Jim was more than happy to oblige.

During our dinner date (with Kate), Jim and I also talked about other ways that Jim might be able to help me feel better about things at our house. I relinquished a few of my normal duties to him, and I think the relief of getting stuff off of my perpetual 'to-do' list lifted a little weight off my shoulders. Again, asking for help. I guess that I just feel like I should be able to do it all. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it all again. But right now, I do need help . . . and getting it makes me feel so much more happy.

In turn, I'm sure I was much more pleasant to be around this weekend. I'm hoping to carry that into this week. (And I'm sure Jim is hoping for that, too.)

Thanks to a weekend of therapy, I'm hoping to start this week fresh and with a good attitude. What's on tap? Meg has music class each morning this week . . . 'music camp' for toddlers. I have to say . . . just the idea of this stresses me out. Will Meg behave the way I expect -- the way she normally does? After the last two weeks, it's hard to say. (Did I mention that Meg BIT her sister yesterday? Oh, yes. On the toe. We are not back to ourselves just yet.) And then there is the stress of Kate coming along . . . will she sleep or at least be good during the 45 minute class each morning? Mmmm, another hard one.
**Deep Breath**

I'm going to try and take it in stride. Just relax. Ask for help from other mommies, if I need it. Many of them have been in my shoes, so I know they'll understand. I am not going to let this weekend of therapy be ruined by a few dancing kiddies.
Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Tiffany Payment said...

Hey...I got to take an extra nap this weekend. I also got new undies, new nursing bras and a few new shirts for after baby!!!! I am so excited! I'll get new pants about a month after baby is here...drop some baby weight first! lol It was the therapy I needed also.

You are very blessed to have Kate sleeping through the night already. My kids pulled that amount of hrs worth of sleep around 13 months for the first time. They never sleep through the night before that. :(

I am so glad you are feeling better about this stage of life and happy that you got some well needed and deserved "Heather" time! We all need it so be sure to keep making time for it.

The Cibulas said...

What a happy weekend! We are thinking of you often!

georgiagirl said...

Hi - It's Ellen! I found your blog from Mr All Fords. I just wanted to let you know I'm lurking! We should plan a girl's drink night with Tricia soon.

btw, my blog is privatized for work purposes. email me at ellen.sauve at gmail.com if you want in, it's not too exciting :)