Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursdays are Usually My Favorite Day of the Week

Today, unfortunately, is a bit of an exception. Forgive my rampant complaining . . . it has just been one of those weeks. I promise to start next week off with much more fun-loving, happy-go-lucky, Meg-is-the-best-kid blogs. But for today, I have to vent.

This morning, our countertop people were supposed to come back and fix a few of the minor details that we felt were left unfinished after their first visit. Just a few things need to be tweaked, no big deal. The one part of this all that is NOT so minor – the sink, dishwasher, and cooktop are still uninstalled. The items that needed fixing are not major – but they involve the sink and dishwasher, so we still don’t have the use of either. UGH. This is the third week that we’ve lived like this. The house is in chaos . . . ½ of my kitchen is in my dining room . . . and we are still washing dishes in the bathroom. When the service guys didn’t come yesterday, I was frusturated . . . I had to cancel the plumber and wait for today. When I got the run-around this morning about the service guys NOT coming out today, either . . . I was livid.

Jim and I decided to cancel our check for the second-half payment on the countertops. One quick phone call to the bank took care of that. I called my contact (the salesperson) and told her this, and – don’t you know – the owner of the countertop company was calling me within 5 minutes. Within 30 minutes, he was personally at our house and inspecting our issues. Before lunch, we were on the schedule for 8 am tomorrow morning. Withholding payment surely did the trick.

So that was what I dealt with today from 9 – 11 am.

The company owner was out of here right at 11am, and I thought, “Hey, Meg and I can make it to our swimming class today . . . it’s right across the street, we have plenty of time to get ready!” We haven’t seen anyone or done anything at all this entire week. I was excited to get out of here. We suited up and got out the door as fast as we could.

As we entered the aquatic center, I saw my friends and their babies in the pool . . . and then realized that I was (and am) a total idiot. We’ve been doing swim since January . . . the time is the SAME every Tues & Thurs. 11:00 – 11:30am. I showed up at 11:25am. UGH. Totally goofed that up, thinking that it started at 11:30, for some unknown reason. Ok – no biggie . . . let me just sneak out of here . . . but it was too late . . . my friends had already spotted us. I was forced to stand by the edge of the pool and declare my stupidity for all to hear. Then we promptly turned around and went home. Meg was a little confused. “Uh. Mom? Why aren’t we swimming with my friends?”

Next on our agenda: lunch with my photography friend. I was really looking forward to this lunch. My flickr friend is starting her own business, too . . . I was eager to see her and talk photo-stuff. Shop-talk, if you will.

I loaded us in the car, and we got to the restaurant on time, no problem. My buddy showed up, joined us, and we all enjoyed a nice, peaceful lunch . . . for maybe 10 minutes. After that, Meg wanted to get up and wander. Again – referring to a past blog – I am one of THOSE moms now. Meg turned loose and was everywhere. My poor friend and I could barely hold a conversation because Meg was wandering all around. And, if I didn’t let her wander, I listed to her whine. Wandering or whining . . . which is worse? UGH.

Then, toward the end of what should have been lunch but was really just a feeble attempt to shove my face while chasing my toddler, Meg had a big ol’ poop. A “new outfit” kinda poop, for all you moms out there. I took her into the restroom, cleaned her up, and redressed her in the spare outfit that . . . I soon figured out . . . has probably been in my bag for months. Clearly . . . because it was TOO small (see photo for her get-up). I just laughed. My flickr friend was a great sport about it all. I hope she’ll have lunch with us again in the future . . . maybe I’ll get a babysitter next time.

Now it’s 3pm, and Meg is napping. “Sigh” Let’s see how the rest of the day goes.

Hope that you were able to laugh at this one, even if it was full of complaining. Really, it is comical. Life is just a barrel of monkeys, sometimes. (Whatever THAT means)

No comments: