Thursday, September 27, 2007

Addiction


I am addicted to the computer.

I love email. I check email at least hourly . . . unless I’m out of the house . . . in which case, I check it almost as soon as I come home. I have set up a sound so that, when an email arrives, I can hear the sound all over the house. I check email right before I go to bed and first thing when I get up . . . honestly, the only thing that ever comes between those 2 times is junk mail . . . but still, check it I must. I’m sure that I’ve freaked one or two of you out by responding to an email SO quickly . . . dude, I’m on it all the time.

I’m also in LOVE with Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/ , for those of you who are unaware of this fabulous photo sharing site. Jim is to blame for that addiction . . . I bet he wished he’d never shown it to me. I am on the site constantly – at LEAST as much as email. Because it is full of professional and pseudo-professional photographers like myself, I am perusing the website daily for photo ideas. I post my own photos, then await comments anxiously. I’ve developed quite a network of friends on Flickr . . . friends that I consider to be good buddies, yet I know them only through cyberspace. One friend lives in Seattle – with her partner and beautiful little girl that is nearly the same age as Meg. One friend lives in England and is going to be welcoming twins in about 2 weeks (I’ve even considered sending her a gift from her gift registry, but I can’t get the whole Euro-dollar conversion thing to work for me). One friend lives in the Canada and is just venturing into photography, like me. She and I were going to have babies together – about 2 weeks apart – so now I watch her photos to see how her pregnancy is coming along. I’ll probably never meet any of these people. But, to me, they are really my friends, and I enjoy checking in each day to see what they are up to.

I read friend’s blogs all the time, and I check friend’s photo albums for new pictures daily. I know that all of you don’t write a blog every day . . . and it might be a few weeks between photo uploads to your on-line album . . . but rest assured that I’m out there, checking. Daily.

My own personal blog has not helped the situation. I look forward to logging in to my blogspot account to see if anyone has left a comment. I love writing my blog, pasting it into the “new post” section, then reading it once it has been uploaded. What a waste of time . . . I just wrote it and then read it before I posted it.

Dude, I even look at Meg’s on-line album each day. I am the one that posted the pictures, but still I check to see how they look . . . floating out there on the world wide web. Pathetic, I realize.

I think I’ve become a freak.

I have set up a “play station” for Meg right next to my desk so that – on occasion – I can check in on the computer while she plays at my feet. I will admit – I don’t get on it very much when she’s awake and looking to be entertained. I realize that is neglect. But, she is my only saving grace. As soon as she is put down for a nap or for the night, into the chair I plop, and my right hand assumes the position.

I don’t know how to stop this obsession. I miss TV shows that I want to watch because I get enthralled with something or someone on the web (thank GOD for TIVO). I zone out when I’m talking to Jim on the phone . . . tell him I’ll call him back . . . and don’t for HOURS. Even when Jim is home, I sometimes sit in here and just lose myself on the internet. I’ll sit in here for an hour or so and keep saying, “After this, I’m done . . .” and then the hours just tick away. I miss lunch some days. I “hold it” so that I don’t have to stop what I’m doing on the computer.

What is wrong with me? HELP.

I think this is the most embarrassing thing I’ve admitted to so far on the blog. But, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, right?

2 comments:

Becky said...

(raising hand) Hi. My name is Becky and I, too, and addicted to my computer. It all started when the laptop with wireless Internet entered our lives. Please foward the 12-step program :)

B

Anonymous said...

Put the mouse down! Back away from the computer!