Friday, September 14, 2007

Mom, The Business Tycoon


There are some things that I always knew I’d do in my life. I knew that I would be a mom. I knew that I would become a teacher. I knew that I would have a good family life and, in general, be successful.

There are also some things that I never thought I would do. I never thought I would go back to school and get my Master’s degree . . . let alone from UGA. And, I never, ever thought I’d start my own business.

But I have. Introducing: HD Portraits.

The whole adventure started with a friend that invited me over to take pictures of her newborn son. I had done a newborn shoot just a few weeks earlier for another friend, so I was excited to gather my gear and head to see this second newbie. By the time I left, my friend had paid me and had me convinced that I NEEDED a website and I NEEDED my own business. So it began.

The name – HD Portraits – is, obviously, my initials. When I was tossing around ideas, I really wanted to do something different. A large majority of photographers use their name, ie, “Heather Dahlby Photography.” But that just didn’t sit right with me – my name didn’t seem to work. My dad threw out the idea that my initials are HD – like high definition. Since my work is digital, I thought that sent a subtle subliminal message. I chose the word “portraits” because I wanted potential clients to know that I do people pictures . . . not just pictures of anything. I do portraiture, not just photography. Put the two main ingredients together, and you have HD Portraits.

Once I had HD Portraits named, I was ready to reach out to the community and start my business. I contacted a local photographer who’s work I admired and who happened to be personal friends with some of the teachers with whom I used to work. I was so excited to chat with this photographer . . .hear how she started, maybe get some tips . . . but I did not receive the response I had expected. At all. As a matter of fact, this local photographer pretty much blasted me. She “yelled” (if you can do that in an email) at me for not charging enough money for my services. She went so far as to say that I was damaging the entire photographer community. I was so upset by her comments . . .she didn’t even have the decency to say one nice thing about my actual WORK. Ever artist is an egomaniac . . . we all need a little “good job” or “fantastic work” every now and then. In the end, the whole exchange left me very disheartened.

After wallowing in that for a day or so, I got myself up, dusted myself off, and decided that I didn’t have to listen to that – or anyone else’s – criticism. I own my own business, I can do whatever I want! That particular photographer’s main concern was that I don’t charge enough money . . .which, in all honesty, I don’t. After thinking about it, I realized that I’m not really in it for the money at this point. I just like taking pictures, so I charge a small fee and get to do what I love. I think some photographers (including the one I spoke with) charge way TOO much for their pictures . . . unless maybe they have found a way to print them on gold or something. Quite honestly, I like the business model I have set up for myself, and I’m not sure if I’ll change it any time soon. (I just have to keep charging enough to cover my costs and time . . . I don’t want to loose money on this thing!)

Since the time I started, I’ve set up a website, acquired business cards, and – most recently – established a logo. The logo is very exciting because it makes me feel so official. Jim and I are working on my website, which will most likely be “hdportraitsonline.com” because some stingy guy owns (but isn’t using!) hdportraits.com. The whole process of establishing a REAL website (not a free google site like I have now) is quite cumbersome. We’re working on it – I’ll let you know when we are up and running.

I’m really proud of myself. I still don’t FEEL like I’m a true-blue photographer . . . I guess that will come with time. It feels strange when I tell people, “I’m a photographer.” I look at the work of other photographers and am in awe at their talents. I am always comparing myself to people that have been in the business for 10, 15, 20 years . . . which is stilly. But, I have to say that the families I’ve worked with (20+ shoots to date) have all been very complimentary of my own work . . . that’s what I have to go on, and I can’t discount that. When these families start calling me back for second and third shoots, then I’ll really feel like I’m getting some where. Maybe I’ll even start to feel like a photographer.

Check out my temporary site on-line – http://hdportraits.googlepages.com/ and let me know what you think.


(That's me at "The Bean" in Chicago . . . Jim and Meg are in the background.)

3 comments:

The Cibulas said...

I am so impressed by your determination. I checked out your website and I think your pictures are great...beautiful babies! I would love to see your new site when you get it going.

The Cibulas said...

I am so impressed by your determination. I checked out your website and your pictures are great...beautiful babies! I would love to see your new site when you get it up and running.

Heather Dahlby said...

Thanks, Paula!! Your photographer for Jack's newborn shots was amazing -- she inspired me!