Tuesday, September 11, 2007

No More Topless Tuesday

Woo-Hoo! The countertops are in! We’ve being going "topless" for 2 weeks now, and I’m so excited to have the counters and most of my kitchen back. It was kind of nice to be able to just put stuff in the drawers without opening them . . . but I guess I'll have to get over my laziness and start actually opening the drawers again. I still don’t have a functioning sick, dishwasher, or cooktop, but that is on tap for tomorrow afternoon. By tomorrow night, I can cook my family a fabulous dinner and then wash all their dishes for them (whoopee).

Going without a kitchen has been hard. You underestimate how MUCH you use your sink, really. I thought that it wouldn’t be bad – we’d use paper plates, we have a water dispenser in the fridge – what more will I need? A LOT. Aside from drinking water, you need a sink for nearly everything! I’ve peeled fruit over the trash can, washed dishes in our pedestal sink, left them to dry on the back of the toilet, hosed off Meg’s high chair tray outside, gone through a million baby wipes during after-meal clean up, made coffee in the bathroom, and figured out various other tricks to get us through the past 2 weeks. We also didn't have anywhere to PUT anything . . . we got really good at balancing items on the small pieces of wood around the edges of the counters. And then there is the eating out, which we figured would be easier on many occasions because there would be no kitchen mess, no dishes, etc. I’m very tired of eating out! And I think I've gained 5 pounds! I’m ready to have my kitchen back and cook at home. I have come to learn how much I do cook at home (and how much I like it).

Complaining aside – which is allowed in a situation like this – I should mention that the 2 week time-period is not the fault of our countertop people. They would have had us installed early last week, but then we special ordered a sink (delay: 2 days) and went out of town for the weekend (delay: 2 days). So, all in all, we have noBODY to complain about . . . just complaining about the situation . . . which WAS what it WAS . . . there was no way around it. The counters had to be replaced, and this is what it took to get that done.

It was worth it the wait. I LOVE the new kitchen with it’s sparkling counters and fancy new sink. The kitchen was already awesome . . . it’s huge and fantastic and great for parties. Now it’s even better. Next is the backsplash . . . hopefully that will be done next week.

We aren’t going topless anymore – hooray!



Note: Meg is still not 100% . . . so I’m starting to worry. She’s not really eating much, and she went to nap only about 90 minutes after waking up. Now she’s on nap number 3 for the second day in a row. We might make a visit to the doctor tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Meg feels better soon. Your counter tops look great! Are they black? In that one picture they look blue. Either way, I can't wait to see them in person!!

Unknown said...

they are black and white -- the flourescent light in the picture did that to them, and I was too lazy to edit the pic!