Monday, September 10, 2007

Sick and Tired: Update


Now it is the day’s end, and we made it through without any more incidents . . . although Meg was not herself all day long. She napped 3 times, ate 4 or 5 little snacks, and generally just hung around in my lap. I hope that tomorrow she wakes up feeling much more like my sugey-boogy (my nickname for her) and less like a pukey-wukey.

I hate how helpless I feel when my child is sick. I realize that this is only the beginning . . . she will have much more traumatic illnesses than just an isolated vomiting episode. Honestly, she’s never really been sick at all . . . not even so much as a cold. She’s thrown up so few times, I still know the count (4, if you are wondering). What will I do when she has strep throat or a real stomach virus? Or worse – something that knocks her out for several days??

I guess I can rely on my instincts to kick in. Today, they sure did. As soon as the episode in the kitchen began, I kicked into full-out mommy gear. I moved so quickly and made decisions without really thinking about it. Only after the incident – when Meg was napping in her crib – did I relax and come down from the adrenaline rush. It’s pretty cool how that happens.

Being a mom has it’s ups and downs. Today was certainly not an “up” – but we made it through. Tonight, I wish for Meg to have sweet baby dreams of playing and laughing all day tomorrow.

No comments: