Monday, September 10, 2007

Sick and Tired

Our day has started off with a bang. Meg slept until 8:00am . . . which, for me, was a real treat. I had time to get up, shower, dress, and even make coffee and breakfast before I heard her happy little yammering on the baby monitor. I got her up and fed, then we dressed her all cutesy for our first day of fall music class. I even put little polka dotted socks on her feet, and we were all ready to go. What a fun morning we were going to have!

It’s funny how your plans can change in a split second.

A funny cough of Meg’s turned into a gag and then – you guessed it – her breakfast came back up all over the kitchen floor. Poor little boogie. We don’t have a kitchen sink right now – countertops being replaced, a topic worthy of it’s own blog entry later this week – so I just had to let her get it all out all over the floor. She was hysterical, a total mess, and clinging to me with fright. I scooped her up and grabbed a towel to catch anything that might come up on our way upstairs . . . gave her a quick bath to just wipe her down . . . then dressed her in something super comfy, stripped off my clothes, and rocked her to sleep in her room (while wearing just my undies, yes). She was only awake about 1 hour, total.

I feel so very bad for her. Mornings like this make me very ashamed to ever complain even a little bit about that sweet little thing. She was so helpless when she was getting sick – and so scared because her body was out of control – I just wanted to hold her as close as I could and make her all better. Right now, it’s 10:04am and she is still asleep. I don’t know if it was something she ate or what, but I hope that it was just a one-time thing and that the rest of our day will be better. The fact that she was so tired, though, makes me wonder if she has a little stomach bug.

Need-less-to-say, when I redressed myself, I put on stay-at-home-mom attire: my lounge pants and a t-shirt. Even if she is back to herself, we aren’t going anywhere today. I’ve made her an entire bowl of rice (in the microwave, which takes about 40 minutes!), and we are just going to stay at home and try to keep our food down. We can’t go anywhere and risk her getting sick again – or, if it is a bug, spread it around to other little ones. No music class for us this week. We’ll sing some songs at home and snuggle until Meg is back to herself.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Feel better soon, Meg! Sick days are no fun, but sometimes they turn out to be some of the best memories between mother and child -- just snuggling and nursing them back to health. Hang in there!