Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I've Come to a Realization . . .

Yesterday at the library, I realized that I’ve become one of THOSE moms. The ones that you stare at before you have kids and think, “I won’t be like that . . . I won’t let my child run loose all over . . .” At the library, Meg was wandering all over, pulling books off shelves and handing numerous books to numerous strangers. The process of getting a new library card and obtaining a few books was certainly complicated by my overly social, knows-shes-super-cute, one year old. I came home exhausted and ready for a nap . . . not my own nap, but Meg’s nap. I needed a break!

Today at Kroger was no different. My dad told me that he likes to take her shopping and just let her walk. This morning, since we needed only 3 items, I thought I’d give it a try. After picking up and replacing the candy, magazines, razors, aspirin, and God only knows what other small check-out lane items, I realized that my dad is crazy. Or maybe Meg is good for him when they shop (but I think it may be the former).

The key to the original statement I made is “before you have kids” – before you have kids, you think that your baby will be the BEST baby, will be the smartest, will never misbehave. You think that you can take your kid out in public and it will certainly NOT be the one to scream in the middle of dinner. Ha Ha. That may be well and true for you – and congratulations if it is – but for me, I have come to know that my baby is pretty much like everyone else’s. I have learned that I have very little control over anything. . . and really, it has gotten much worse since Meg started walking!

But that’s OK. I’ll take it all in stride. Once you realize that you are one of THOSE moms, you also realize there are LOTS of THOSE moms out there. So you aren’t alone. You learn to say “sorry” and “excuse me” and ignore any gruff sounds or grimaces you may encounter. You just hope that the stranger your kid is bothering is also one of THOSE moms, so that you really aren’t bothering anyone at all. :)

No comments: