Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Today is Over

Since we found out that the tumor was so large . . . that the surgery was going to be on April 1st . . . we've all just been waiting for today to be over. We've waited to be on the other side of this surgery for more than 3 weeks so that we would all know that my dad is going to be OK, he's going to heal, and we can continue.

Today is over, and it went exactly as planned. We are on the other side . . . and my dad is on his way to recovery.

The surgery went exactly as it was planned and described to us. No surprises, good OR bad. That's good, I know . . . but there definitely was a part of me hoping that the tumor wasn't as large as they thought, or maybe they could save his voice box after all. None of that happened, but nothing BAD happened either. It went exactly as planned, and for that I am glad.

My dad is in ICU tonight. My mom and I saw him for a little bit this evening, and he wrote on a piece of paper how glad he was that we were there. He seemed to be pretty uncomfortable . . . but then the nurse gave him some additional meds about 15 minutes into our visit, and he feel asleep within about 5 minutes of that. I stayed for just a bit longer, then wrote him a note that I'd be back tomorrow. He's resting now, I hope. I just hope he's resting somewhat comfortably.

I'm exhausted from the day, and I wasn't even at the hospital until about 5pm. I'm going to bed, and hopefully I can get some good sleep tonight knowing Dad has made it through.

If you called me today -- thank you for thinking of me -- and I'll call you back when I can. I sincerely appreciate the calls, the emails, and the notes here on the blog. It helps to know that so many of you are truly thinking and praying for him.

We made it. HE made it. Today is over. Tomorrow is Day 1 of recovery.

6 comments:

Kayce said...

Great news! Glad everything went as planned and there were no surprises, even if no good ones. Get some rest.

Tiffany Payment said...

that is such good news.

you, he and your family have been and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

danabana said...

Heather, I am relieved that the surgery went as planned. Best wishes for your Dad's recovery. Sending ALOHA your way :-)

Becky said...

Yeah, so glad it's over and he is on his way to recovery! I was thinking about you and your family all day and praying for you all.

Becky said...

We are glad everything went as planned, and hope he had a good day today. We think of you all often and send love and hugs to you.

D, B & J

Twinkletoes said...

Keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers for health and a speedy recovery!