Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sing Along Songs

Music is kinda my 'thing' . . . it's a huge part of my life, and it always has been.

Jim jokes that I can beat anyone you know at "Name that Tune." He's right. I have this uncanny knack for knowing the name and artist for many, many pop and country songs. I have won 2 separate contests . . . once at a time-share resort in Mexico, I won a 'name tha tune' contest and we got a free appetizer. On a cruise, I came in 2nd to a DJ -- who I considered to be drastically over-qualified for the competition. Really, I got a trophy for that cruise-ship contest, so I consider it a win.


Not only do I recognize the song, but if it was released between about 1985 and now, I can often tell you the year it was originally playing on the radio. I associate so many of my memories and so much of my life with music . . . I just think back to when I remember hearing it, and I can ususally pin the year without hesitation.

For example . . . and I swear, I did NOT look any of these up, so there is the potential that I'm off by a year or a season . . .
  • Madonna, "Like a Prayer" -- 1988, 5th grade when we lived in New Hampshire(incidentally, I can do this with just about every song on her 'Immaculate Collection' CD -- it's like my entire childhood on disk)

  • Blind Melon, "No Rain" -- spring 1994, right after I got my driver's liscense

  • Alanis Morisette, "You Outta Know" -- late 1995, early 1996, right as I was about to graduate high school

  • The Cardigans, "Love Me, Love Me" -- fall 1996, my freshman year at UGA

  • Justin Timberlake, "Bringin' Sexy Back" -- summer of 2006, right after Meg was born

  • Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black" -- spring of 2008, when I was pregnant with Kate

Those were the first few that jumped into my head. I could literally go on and on.



So I know the song and the date . . . and many times, most of the words, too. My love of lyrics literally fills more of my brain than I care to admit. I hear a song once, and it sticks . . . it's just how my memory works. My cousin, 10 years my junior, once told her school-age friends when we were all driving around town one summer day, "My cousin, she knows the words to every song on the radio." She must have been about 8 yrs old, making me about 18 . . . and I still have that ability to sing along to this day.

And sing along I do -- oh, do I ever. In the car, I am like a freakin' American Idol applicant or something. I sing along to everything. Sometimes I turn on certain CDs and sing the same song over and over . . . if it's the kind that suits my voice and I think sounds great.

Jim says I have a nice voice. He actually seems to like to hear me sing, so I oblige him most of the time when we are in the car together.

The heartbreaker: Meg has started putting the brakes on my car rides full of sing along songs. From the backseat, I hear, "No Mommy Sing!" from my two year old. My heart dropped the first time she did it. She doesn't want me to sing?! I thought. My dreams of mommy-daughter sing alongs are on hold for now . . . the kid hardly lets me get a note out these days before she requests that I knock it off. "Please don't sing, Mommy," is what I've taught her to say. If she's going to shoot me down, at least she could be polite about it.


As I sit here and type, Kate is in my lap, "AAAhhhhh-ing" away and making all kinds of baby noises. I think she's trying to sing.

Maybe she gets it from her mom.

4 comments:

Keisha said...

The only time Tanner will let me sing is when I'm rocking him at night, and only then can I sing a song that he requests. Neither of the kids let me sing in the car ... which is why I rock out when I'm by myself. That crazy woman you see at the red light singing and dancing? That's me!

Becky said...

That's funny! I'm not quite that good (or bad?!), I usually don't know the artist or the name of the song, but I know the song and the lyrics! Plus, I can always tell you if it's an 80's song or not b/c we moved to GA in 1990 so I know if it's a "NJ" song or "GA" song, LOL! I associate them w/ things/times too - I always think of this one book I was reading when "Enjoy the Silence" came out in the 80's b/c it was on ALL the time while I was reading. Sorry Meg doesn't like you're singing in the car :(

Kayce said...

What a cute post!

BTW, I left you a blog award on my page!

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I had a pencil tip mustache... ;-)