Monday, October 6, 2008

An Apology

Dear Nana Dahlby & Papa,

I sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit with us this past week at least as much as we enjoyed having you. We are so grateful that you drove the 16+ hours to come and help us take care of kids, shop, make dinners, decorate the house . . . and all of the various and sundry thing we crammed into your 5 days with us. We always enjoy having you here.

And, I think I owe you one big, fat apology.

I'm really a bit embarrased at how I acted while you were visiting. I know that I was not the easiest person to get along with . . . and I moped around at least 1/2 of Friday and most of Saturday for reasons that I was too grouchy to explain. I am very sorry that I wasted your visit . . . that I chose to act like a brat instead of cherish the time you were with us.


I really can't defend myself. The only thing I can ask for is that you try and forgive me, maybe try and understand a little bit of what I'm going through right now.


The transisition from one to two children has been harder on me that I could have ever imagined. The change is overwhelming . . . and I'm shocked by it. It is hard for me to even admit that it's so difficult. Millions of families have children two years apart . . . what is wrong with me that I am struggling day in and day out?

I think it's the change around our house. Just the sheer magnitute of change. I am finding that I don't handle change very well. Life around here has changed so much that I can hardly remember what used to be "normal." I'm having to make more and more scarifices in my own life to do what is needed for our family. I'm having to rethink the way the house runs . . . the activites we do . . . the basic functions of our days. I think you caught me at a bad time . . . at a time when we've had a lot of change and I'm not able to handle much more.

My inability to manage change only mulitplies when we have people staying with us for several days. I have to change my routine . . . and so do the girls. I have to change the way I parent the kids (whether you want me to or not -- I can't help it). I have to change the things I do, the things we do. Everything changes when you are here, and I'm sure you'd agree. And, after about 2 or 3 days, it gets to be a lot to deal with. I think by Friday, I was spent . . . I'd lost it. I was wishing for my 'normal' to come back again (whatever that is, exactly).

What truly pushed me over the edge this week was the fact that my husband -- your son -- was relatively absent from your entire visit. Jim is the one that I can bark orders at when things get to be too much . . . he is the one who knows how things should go around here, so he can jump in and help when he notices that help is needed. He grounds me; he is my rock. Without him, I felt a little overwhelmed. You have to admit . . . Jim has been gone so, SO much in the last 3 weeks . . . and then he was gone quite a bit with work (and the football game) while you were here in town. Without him, it's all me when you are visiting. Thank creates even more work for me . . . more things for me to do, on top of all that is involved in our normal routine. And -- come on -- even YOU get tired of looking at me, I'm certain.
Add to that a baby that was up all night, a toddler pooping in her pants and feverish from the arrival of her two-year molars, and two photo sessions for HD Portraits . . . and I was simply unable to manage it all and maintain a smile. After about 2 days, I was no longer capable of being a good host . . . and I was mad at my husband for his lack of support . . . so it all manifested itself in bratty behavior and grouchiness on my part.

I'm not saying that you 'overstayed your welcome' or your visit was too long. I'm not saying for a second that we don't love having you. I would never say that . . . and I would never, ever think it. We love your visits, and we want to you come as often and for as long as you can. The girls adore their Nana and Papa, and we adore your help and your kindness to our family when you are here. Please don't misunderstand me -- you are very wanted around here.

I'm just apologizing the best way that I know how for the way I acted . . . the way I handled the change in our house while you were here. I didn't do a good job. I make no excuses . . . except that it may have been a little easier if I'd had more help from Jim . . . and I think he realizes, too, the he didn't make it easy on me last week. We have learned from this, and we'll change what we do next time around.

Next time, I assure you that I will try to do better. I'm very sorry. I hope you can forgive me. I hope we can move on and enjoy our time together when we see you again in two weeks.

Change sucks. I'm not good at it. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I let it ruin part of your visit (and I hope it didn't ruin the whole thing).

Thank you again for everything you did while you were here . . . and everything you do for us all the time. No matter what has changed around here, you guys have continued to provide for us in any way you can, and we value that love and support more than you'll ever understand.

Enjoy the drive back to Kansas . . . and we love you.

With many apologies and even more gratitude,
Heather

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think that you need to remember that your in-laws are on your side. And quite honestly they don't come to see you or Jim, for that matter, they come to see their granddaughters. LET THEM HELP YOU! Even if everything they do is "WRONG", who cares, it's FREE time for YOU! And STOP coming down on Jim, you don't need to "bark" at him, he travels to provide an opportunity for you to stay at home and be the kind of mom you think you should be, not to make you suffer alone. We all have our bad moments and its easiest to have them around people who love you, like your in-laws. So don't sweat it, they won't hate you forever, they'll just talk about you to your sister-in-law. And when #3 comes around it'll start all over again.

Heather Dahlby said...

It's not about the in-laws doing things "wrong" or refusing help -- I do take advantage of them while they are here.

But it's far from "free time" . . . as much as one might like to think I can just hand over my kids, I can't. I do have someone here to help so that I can do things I want to do, but it's not like I'm just galavanting around while they do everything I normally do around here.

I know Jim has the job he does to provide for us in ways that I could have only dreamed I would be lucky enough to experience. I know that traveling is just part of it -- he's not punishing me. Jim would much, much rather have a job here in town if he could do what he loves so much (and what pays him so well). But it's still HARD. He has to figure out a way to balance that with his home life, and that's not easy. I just don't think that he's realized how much things really have changed around here since Kate arrived . . . because, honestly, they haven't changed that much for HIM.

It's hard. And yes, they probably talk about me to my sister in law all the time. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Keisha said...

Oh, my dear friend, I am with you, as always, 100%!! I wish I had some magic words for you ... but Lord knows I am far from being the perfect mom. So I'll just give support. I, also, am not good at handing over the reigns ... I never feel like anyone else can do this mothering thing for my children as well as I can ... and I also wish my husband was home more. But I know he must make a sacrifice (less family time) so that I can have my time at home. When I go back to work, he will have more family time. And I'm really hoping that your "anonymous" friend here is kidding when she says that your in-laws talk about you to your sister-in-law. If she's not kidding, I think that's a little insensitive. You are doing the best you can with what you have to work with ... unfortunately, Kate made her first months easy for you, and you expected it to stay that way. Now she's being a true baby ... like most moms have. And for Meg, I say slap her in a Pull-Up. And tell her she can't have her big girl panties back until she poops in the potty. Let's get together soon ... I need some Mommy of Two Kids Gripe time!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think it is always very difficult to have house guests, let alone when you have a 2 year old and a newborn. Even though it sounds like you have a large home, with a comfortable guest room, I truly believe that your in-laws should have stayed in a hotel. I would have been crabby and grumpy if I were you, too. It is impossible to be a good hostess and put on a happy face when you are a busy mom like yourself. I hope that they forgive you and don't blame you for anything they felt while visiting.

The Fokens Family said...

Doesn't it feel good to journal it all out?? I can always count on a good honest post from you.
Take your sweet time with the pictures.. seriously...no rush. Well, at least by Christmas:)You've got SO much on your plate.
Lov ya!
~Erica