Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Roof Over Our Heads, Part II

The new roof is up, and it looks awesome.


I'll admit . . . when I returned home to see the new roof last week, it wasn't quite the "Wow!" I was hoping for. But, then again, it's a new roof. It's not a new house . . . or a major structural change . . . heck, it's not even as big as a new paint job. I think I was so excited about the newness that I let my expectations get out of whack.


Anyway, like I said: looks awesome. See for yourself . . .





Our house, August 2007 -- right after we moved in.











Our house now -- Oct 13, 2008


Now that I look at it, we've changed more than just the roof.



The landscaping has had quite a face lift since the Dahlbys arrived. New landscaping went in within weeks of our move in . . . there were some issues with drainage that had to be taken care of, and the landscaping on the left side of the the house had to be sacrificed for the cause. Jim and I both hated that big ole' tree that took up nearly the entire front of the house, so it had to go, too. In general, Jim's just trimmed and maintained the bushes/trees in a way that actually looks like someone lives here.



I love all the new landscaping, personally. It's less overbearing and let's the house shine.



Oh, and we put the screens back on the front of the house. That's another change I noticed. Some neighbors have removed all of their screens because it's more 'aesthetically pleasing' . . . but I don't care. I like to have my windows open this time of year. No screens means no open windows, and who lives like that?



Now that the roof is pristine and perfect and our landscaping is up to par, we'll be getting all of the trim repainted. We are 3 sides brick, but the trim still needs some attention . . . I doubt it's seen a brush since it was slapped on the house back in 1999. I say all of this like we are painting soon . . . we really don't have plans to do that until sometime after the first of the year. It's very needed . . . but from the street, you can't seem to tell to terribly much. So, we'll hang on to the 10 year old paint job a little bit longer and stash away our cash for the holidays (instead of for paint).



I guess that's it. We have a new roof over our heads. Like I said, not quite as dramatic as I made it up to be, but necessary, none-the-less.



Hey -- and if you look closely in the 'now' picture, you'll see the pumpkins we brought home from Burts. :)

No comments: