Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Friday's Ego Boost

With my Father-in-law in town for a visit last Friday, we were looking for a quick little mid-day activity to get us out of the house and let the girls run wild for a few minutes. When I asked Meg, "What do you want to do today?" she quickly responded with, "Go to Chickfila!" Kate chimed in with, "Nuggets!!" -- and it was settled. We packed up and headed to the local Chickfila for lunch. The perfect solution to a mid-morning slump, in my opinion . . . quick lunch that I don't have to make OR clean up, a few minutes at the playground, then I could bring 2 tired kids back home and straight down for nap.

As any mom knows, the act of taking your kids to a fast-food establishment like Chickfila can be a bit overwhelming for the first 10-15 minutes of your visit. There is the wrangling of kids while you order the food, followed by the awkward attempt at getting your food on it's tiny, overflowing tray to your table without creating a big catastrophic scene. And then you have to find a way to keep everyone calm while you poke holes in juice boxes, dish out nuggets and fries, and try to squeeze some ketchup somewhere that isn't going to create a huge mess for you to have to clean up later. By the time it's actually time to eat, I often find that I've broken a sweat and nearly lost my appetite.


Anyway . . . that's not what this story is about.



On Friday, as I was in the 3rd stage of the fast-food meal -- already at the table with everyone, prepping the food and kids for their meal -- when someone came up behind me and starting talking to me. It was a woman's voice, and she was standing right behind me, leaning in -- so I figured that it must be someone I knew. I was very surprised when I turned around and found a stranger staring at me.



"Your kids are so cute -- oh! Look at those girls. They are just precious!" she was saying.



I looked at my girls. They were in play clothes, hair tousled, and Meg was already chomping on her nuggets with her mouth wide open. But yeah, I'd agree . . . they are pretty cute. And, I'll admit, I've heard it before. Any mom relishes in the compliments bestowed upon their children by random strangers in public. We've all been there. (But it never, ever gets old:) )



But the lady went on.



"And YOU! Look at you -- you are so cute, too. Your hair cut, your glasses, your outfit -- love the boots. You have a great look. You look so cute, too! What a cute family you are. Just precious," she said. She was so enthusiastic in her speech. She meant what she was saying.



I was totally, completely caught off guard. I mean, I was wearing jeans and a white, cable knit sweater with my new-ish boots I'd gotten for Christmas. I had managed to shower that morning -- but I was in no way looking my 'best' for the occasion. I looked like a SAHM, honestly. I didn't feel cute, and I certainly didn't leave the house thinking one single person would even notice me . . . let alone get up out of their chair and come to say something so kind.



I thanked the lady -- several times. I smiled and probably blushed. Then she said how adorable we all were one more time, and she returned to her companion and her chicken sandwich about 1/2 way across the restaurant.


That little 1 minute encounter was the biggest ego boost I've had in a long, long time.


It came at the end of a really rough week. A week in which I'd been trying to figure out what I am doing, why I'm doing it, and how happy/unhappy I am with the way I am doing things. I mentioned before it was a bad week for me, personally. But then this little angel came out of nowhere and showered me with kind words . . . and made me feel so good about myself. I still can't believe it even happened.



I don't really believe in coincidences. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe in Devine Intervention. I think God is working in our lives all the time, and sometimes he takes a moment to put someone in our lives so that we know He is there. He knew what I needed on Friday . . . some stranger to let me know that, even if I'm falling apart inside, at least I look like I have myself together when out in public. As the girls went off to play in the playground and my father-in-law went along to supervise, I sat back and stared out the restaurant window thinking just that . . . how good God is. How much I needed to hear those kind words. How my lunch at Chickfila was certainly and without a doubt NOT a coincidence.



It also reminded me that we all have our issues. I'm not the only one dealing with . . . well, for lack of a better word, life. That woman that spoke to me had no idea what kind of week I'd had. I have no idea what kind of week she had. We all have our own issues . . . nobody's life is easy. But in one short minute with just a few kind words, we can change someone's mood. I was left thinking about how we are all dealing with something, so we should be nice to each other whenever we can. You never, ever know when just one minute of compliments at a Chickfila can really change someone's mood or brighten their day.




After reflecting on my experience, I've decided to pay it forward -- I want to provide someone else with the same good feeling I got on Friday. And the next time the opportunity arises, I most certainly will. I urge you all to do the same. Give someone you know -- or don't know -- an ego boost sometime this week. Just say something nice to someone -- something out of the blue or unsolicited. I bet you will feel as good as the person who receives the compliment.


Friday's ego boost. Sure did kick my weekend off the right way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've already done it for me with this post. Keep on keepin on, Momma!