Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bunco



I feel like I've arrived. The ladies in my neighborhood have been inviting me to Bunco for 3 months now, and it seems that I've become quite a 'regular' to a very established group. I'm in. I feel like a teenager saying that, and I am giddy like a teenager that I can say it.




You see, our neighborhood is pretty 'clique-y'. I think many neighborhoods are . . . especially ones like mine, that are about 10 years old and many of the families have lived here nearly all of those 10 years. They've watched each other have kids and send them off to elementary school. Their kids share teachers and soccer coaches. They've all been friends a long, long time. Being the newcomer to this area, I totally have felt like the new kid in school. I've had to break in, to reach out, and to really make an effort to meet my neighbors.




Don't get me wrong -- everyone is super friendly. They just all know each other . . . so it's kinda tough for the newbies. We've been in our house 3 years at the end of the summer, and I finally feel like I'm a part of the group.




It's a good feeling, being accepted. I'm 32 years old, and that first invitation to Bunco made me feel exactly the same way that I felt when I was a 13-yr old new kid at school and Katie Ferguson (a popular girl in my 8th grade class) called me up to invite me for a sleep over. When I got that phone call years ago, I remember vividly flying from our kitchen to our family room, (corded) phone in hand, to ask my dad for permission. I said something like, "Dad! You HAVE to let me go to Katie's house -- she's so cool and everyone likes her! You have to let me go!" He agreed, and I returned to the phone and heard the sound of laughter. Katie had heard the whole exchange, and she thought I was so funny.




Anyway, when I got the Bunco invite, I called Jim. "I'm in," I said. "They invited me to Bunco." Same sentiment, 19 years later.




Bunco itself is a fun game, but I'm really enjoying getting to know more people that share my streets. I like hearing about what I can expect on the school bus rides, which community activities I should look out for, and what its like to live in a house with older children. I'm younger than many of the ladies by about 5 years, so they like to clue me in on what parenting challenges they are facing -- or they remind me of how easy thing can be when kids are so young. Some of the ladies work, some of them don't. I hear about juggling schedules, I laugh at the funny stories everyone tells about their goofy kids. It's nice to be in a room full of intelligent women, wives, moms . . . makes me feel normal.




The Bunco group has opened our doors to other neighborhood activities, such as the St Patty's Party we were invited to (and attended) last weekend. Jim's getting to know some guys, and now he has a standing invitation to join them on Friday nights at the restaurant bar across the street from our neighborhood. I got invited to the Oscar Party . . . Meg and Kate are making friends with more and more kids at the neighborhood park . . . it's going well for the Dahlbys.




And hey -- we are nice people. These neighbors are lucky to have us!




Anway, I just can't get over how much I enjoy feeling like we are a part of the group here in the 'Hampton. It sounds silly, but it's true. I might be all grown up outside, but inside I'm still that 13 yr old girl, giddy as hell that I've been invited for a sleep over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! I'm 45 years old (sigh) and still feel like I'm in junior high when certain things happen in my life. Some things never change. :)