Friday, March 19, 2010

Favorite Photo Friday


Our Girls, March 2009, Marietta, GA




One of my favorite pictures of our girls -- of all time. Something about the sweetness of it, the simplicity, the innocence. I love how Meg is hugging Kate so gently from behind. I love how you can see the bath water on their little eyelashes. Just two sweet sisters, sharing some tub time. Lovely.


Meg looks like such a little mommy in this photo, hovering over Kate the way she is. It's pretty indicative of her current attitude toward little sister. Meg is Kate's 2nd Mommy, no doubt. I hear her talking to Kate -- saying exactly the same things I say to HER, Meg -- and it makes me laugh.


Just this morning, I caught Meg saying to Kate -- in a sweet, tender voice, nonetheless --
"Kate, if I have to ask you to put your shoes on one more time, you are going to time out."
While trying to stifle a laugh, I had to remind Meg that she is not the one to say those things to Kate. Mommy is the one who decides on timeouts, though I do appreciate her being helpful in trying to get Kate ready for preschool.


I've heard Meg tell Kate things like, "Here, let me help you. Your mommy will help you with that." and "Mommy is making dinner, so I can be your mommy while she is busy." Meg is VERY into role-playing, imaginative games . . . and inevitably the girls play house. You can easily guess who is "mom" and who is "baby". Earlier this week, I found Meg cradling Kate in her lap on one of our kid-size chairs, singing "Hush Little Baby" to her little sister and trying to convince her to close her eyes. If Kate had let her, Meg would have rocked her all the way to sleep. It was so cute.

Meg, the little mommy. Funny thing is, I was the SAME way when I was a little girl. I always wanted to play mommy. I always wanted to BE a mommy. Baby dolls, doll clothes, tiny strollers -- I loved it all. I never had a little sister, though, to share in the fun. Lucky Meg.

Lucky Kate to have such a loving big sister.


Lucky me. I have two little girls . . . and clearly one is already following in my footsteps.