Thursday, March 4, 2010

More Random Compliments in Publix

Today, Kate and I visited a Publix grocery located in an area of town that we don't often frequent. I'd been to this Publix many times before, being as it is located near our old house -- but these days, we rarely make it over that way. Our morning errands had us in the area, so I stopped in to my old Publix for a quick run through.

I remember well this elderly woman that was always working a cash register from the days when we used to visit this store . . . and when we entered today, there she was, scanning away with her lovely, sweet smile. I made a mental note as we entered that I would be sure to check-out in her lane when our shopping was complete.

Suna is the woman's name. She is originally from somewhere in Europe -- her accent is, I don't know, German/Swedish/Scandinavian. Probably about 65 years old, tiny build, blonde hair and BRIGHT pink lipstick. I remember Suna because she was always so complimentary of Meg . . . how cute is was, how smiley she was. Whenever I took my Baby Meg to Publix, Suna always showered her with attention. It made me feel good -- and I think that Suna enjoyed fawning over little Meg. It was a treat to see the friendly woman again this morning.

Today, naturally, Suna had the same complimentary reaction to Kate. She talked about how cute she is, and Kate totally hammed it up for Suna. They had a good time 'flirting' with one another as my groceries made their way into their bags.

And then -- AGAIN, unsolicited and in public -- the compliments turned to me.

"How much she is talking! Not even two years old yet? You are a smart mommy to teach her so many things! Oh, she is lucky to have you."

"She is so happy! Oh -- I see she has a snack -- what a smart mom you are. I always see moms in here with screaming babies, and I think 'Give the baby a snack!' Your baby is happy because you take such good care of her."

She said a few other things -- we talked about preschool and how it's so important for kids to get their true education at home, from parents. She said that she knew I was a good mom because Kate was so happy and seemed to be such a easy-going baby. What a kind-hearted woman Suna is. I know she is genuine in her compliments because I've overheard her many times saying kind things to the other customers. She is someone that loves her job and loves meeting so many people each day. I like Suna. I wish I could be more like Suna.

Please understand: I'm not bragging -- I mean, honestly, the lady is calling me a good mom, and all she knows is that I buy apple slices, bread, waffles, and Gogurt for my kids. She has no idea if I'm truly a good mom.

But I know I'm a good mom. And when someone points it out to me, I have an opportunity to take a moment and think about it. Yes, in fact, I do think I am a good mom. My girls ARE lucky to have me.

Thanks, Suna, for the reminder.

No comments: