Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let's Eat

This is probably not a big deal to anyone but me . . . but I'm happy to announce that we got new dining room furniture at Casa de Dahlby.




I've been wanting a new table in our dining room since the day we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Really, I've wanted a really awesome dining set as long as we've been married . . . but we had a functional/appropriate/pretty nice dining table that Jim had purchased as a bachelor, so we had not seen fit to spend the money on a new set. I wanted a NICE set . . . somewhere to put my mom's china, 8 chairs so we have plenty of seating, and a warm colored stain to match the decor in the rest of our house.




It was a want, not a need. So, I've waited. I had to wait until the timing was right and we could justify the money spent on something that we actually did not need . . . but that I wanted terribly.




Two years ago, Jim (our family money man) gave me the green light on new dining room furniture, and off we went in search of the perfect set. We searched and searched, and we figured out what we did/did not like in dining rooms. Then some family things happened, and the money set aside for the table had to used for something else. Bummer.




Another year went by, and we started our search again . . . this time, we knew more about what we wanted, but we still had a hard time finding 'THE" set for our family. Then my mom suddenly died, and our dining room money again was used for other, family emergency-type things. Double Bummer.




Now here we are, nearly another year later, and Jim once again thought we had the funding for my long-desired new furniture. This furniture was not un-Godly expensive -- I act like we had to save and save for it -- but it was an fairly large expense that had to come after everything else financial was reasonably taken care of because we DID have a functioning table and a small cabinet in our dining room (though not coordinating OR pleasing to the eye). Jim and I try so hard to be smart with money . . . the dining room was not at the top of our list, and there is only so much money to be spent . . . but finally, finally the time had come where we could snag ourselves a new table.



And here it is . . .




BEFORE --




AFTER --

The picture does not do it justice. It's dark-ish wood (they say 'cherry', but I don't think it's exactly cherry), farmhouse style table, ladder back chairs, upholstered seats (I will take the plastic off eventually), and a lovely cabinet to go with it.

We love it.

Like I said . . . probably not a big deal to others, but I cannot WAIT to host myself a dinner party in my new dining room. Now I need curtains and linens to go with it . . . oh, and a new light fixture for SURE . . . but all in time. For now, I'm just happy the furniture is here and making itself home in my home.

Hooray! New Dining Room Furniture!

4 comments:

The Cibulas said...

I think you did a fabulous job! What a treat...I love new furniture:)

Anonymous said...

Heather, it is beautiful!! I love it! I can't wait to see it in person...someday... Kristy

Becky said...

Yeah!! I know the feeling :) Looks great!

Keisha said...

It's gorgeous! I know how long you've wanted to new furniture -- I'm glad you finally found what you wanted! I heard Progressive Lighting is having a big sale if you are looking for a light fixture now. ;0)