Saturday, July 19, 2008

So Tired

I'm sure that Jim is getting very, very tired of hearing me say, "I'm so tired." He's been listening to it for what seems like forever . . . since about May, when the last part of my pregnancy began stealing sleep from me. Now I'm just so tired from LIFE. I guess that's what it is, anyway. I can't really put my finger on why I feel as bad as I do. I'm not pregnant anymore, so I can't use that excuse. And Kate is a great sleeper. She does still get up a couple of times each night, but I'm only awake for a little while . . . so my tiredness does not seem proportionate to the loss of sleep I'm suffering. In other words, I don't feel like I should be as tired as I am.

What is making me so, so exhausted?

I guess it's things like trying to take a 2 year old and a newborn out to shop at IKEA. It was a grand idea, when we left the house. The mission: get a couch for the playroom. A place for grown-ups to sit while watching kids play. Not too daunting of a task, really.

Outings like that -- even just a grocery store outing -- can still totally wipe me out. I should know better.

Not only is that home furnishings store huge and exhausting . . . tack on the fact that Meg is still working on potty skills, and you have a regular marathon-type event on your hands. We went potty FIVE TIMES in just our 90 minutes or so at IKEA. Yes, 5 times. She actually WENT all 5 times, too (including a # 2 -- I hated that she had to do that at IKEA of all places!). The fourth time she said, "Poo poo potty, Mommy," I looked at Jim and said, "Seriously, this is exhausting . . . I can't take her again." He took her that time, and then I took her again about 15 minutes later.

Amidst all the potty breaks, our mission was accomplished -- we did get a playroom couch. One that is cute enough, durable enough, yet can still be drawn on and ripped without too much screaming from me (since the thing was not that expensive).

Now it's after 10pm, we are back home, and I'm totally about to crash. Did I mention that I took a 2 + hour nap today with the girls? While Meg was down for her nap, Kate and I crawled into my bed and slept for quite a stretch. So, a 2 hour nap isn't even curing me of the tiredness I am enduring.

I'm hoping that as Kate sleeps even better -- not that I'm complaining now -- I'll be able to feel a bit less sleep deprived. But I doubt it. It might be a while before I can get the kind of sleep my body apparently needs to manage 2 children.

*Yawn* Good night, my friends.

No comments: