Wednesday, November 5, 2008

CHANGE is Scary

I think this must have been my first presidential election as a grown up. Maybe it was the first one that I really cared about . . . probably because I'm now a grown up. It was definitely the first election that I felt would actually effect my household.

And now, honestly, I'm a little scared. I don't know what the future holds for our country . . . or for our family.

Before . . . the future was not that big of a concern. If it was something that wouldn't happen in my generation, I didn't give it a second thought. When I voted in previous Novembers, it was for what would be best for me, and only me. Now I have two little legacies that will live on long past me, and I fear what life in our country will be like for them. I can handle this hard time we are facing . . . but I need to know that things are going to be OK for our girls.

Our current president has, more or less, run us into the ground. The United States is in far worse shape than it was when he took office 8 years ago. Our country is in need of some big change -- yes, CHANGE, I agree with. We need it. But, what I don't agree with is electing somebody to change our country that has no experience with changing anything. Frankly, he has next to no experience in the way things are, let alone changing things for the better.

I'm scared that things are going to get worse. I guess the thought is that they might get worse before they get better . . . but who's to say that they will get better? How long will it take? There's got to be a big learning curve for this job . . . and for someone who has such a thin foundation, that curve seems huge. Will he fulfill all these promises?

I'm scared that those people who went to the poles voted for someone without knowing who they were really voting for. On election night, some news reporters were discussing the fact that we, as a country, know very very little about our president-elect. My thoughts on that? "Well, it's a fine time to be saying that . . . here as you are declaring him to be our next Commander-In-Chief."

I'm scared that the life that Jim and I work so hard for is going to change in ways we are not able -- or willing -- to handle. Whether or not he meant it when he talked about "Spreading the wealth" . . . it's still a major, major concern for my family. Jim works too hard to be giving more of our money to the government . . . so they can give it to others. Sorry, that's not how I think our democratic society should run. Call me callous, call me Republican, call me whatever you want . . . I just want to keep our money.

I'm scared that race will play a bigger role in this than it should. Yes, I said it. I'm addressing it. Nobody talked much about race while he was running . . . but last night, the accolades about the first African-American president rang in my ears as I tried to fall asleep. Is that what this is all about? I thought we were voting for change.

We'll see what happens. I hope and pray that I'm wrong. That there is nothing to be scared of. That we will be in great shape 4 years from now, and that I can vote with confidence to re-elect the man that will be in charge come January. We'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It's amazing how many people went to vote just because of the color of his skin, without any clue of what he truly is about. I must say I could not sleep much at all last night. I just had knots in my stomach, and a sickening feeling all day. Im afraid our world is going to become a much scarier place than it is already, and I am very worried for the future of our little ones.

Tiffany Payment said...

Maybe starting fresh is where the States needs to start. Maybe having new eyes to the world is a good thing. He is not running your country alone. He has so many people helping him...and besides, we all start somewhere. He may not know all about running a nation yet but he will. He needs to be given a chance. Lord knows he can't be any worse then the last guy!

I know it probably doesn't mean much seeing as I am Canadian...but for the first time ever, I am jealous of the US!

I think this change is good!

(I am not here to start anything....just wanted to say what's on my mind!)

The Cibulas said...

Scared doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now! Im with ya!

Becky said...

There is change and then there is going to extremes. I think we are swinging to extremes and that is not what we need right now. God Bless America indeed.