Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Land Down Under

The Basement.

It's not quite done, but we are certainly getting there. We are actually about 2 weeks away from the original end-date we had agreed upon back in February when the job began. 120 days is a long time for this type of project . . . but our contractor works on much of the job himself, with the help of his two sons and a few hired-on guys. So, for the extra time the cost was less . . . and we made the conscious decision to go with them despite their timeline.

We've gotten to know them all very well in these past few months. Aaron, our mid-fifty-year-old-contractor, is always talking about getting back in shape. He sings in the chorus at his church, and he's expecting a new grandbaby late this year. His son Austin was in a terrible car accident a few years ago, and Derrick has a girlfriend that calls a lot while he's here working. Like I said, we've all gotten to know one another pretty well . . . which is nice and difficult at the same time.

It's difficult because the job seems to be dragging out a bit, but we like everyone so much that it's HARD to really lay into them about the work getting done. Check that -- I like everyone so much and I am the one dealing with them daily, so it makes it hard for me to tell them to get a move on. Jim would have Aaron on the phone in a minute to tell him about any disgruntlement or any problems . . . and I'm the one stuck diffusing the argument before it begins.

Diffusing the argument between Aaron and Jim, that is. The argument between Jim and I seems to be somewhat on-going, and won't end until the basement work is done.

I'm really very tired of playing referee. Jim asked me if I was upset about the basement this morning during our daily 'good morning' phone call. I finally told him that the work in the basement is not as upsetting to me as the constant badgering and complaining I get from JIM. I asked him to just cool off or I was going to lose my cool. I'm hoping he got the point. I can only handle so much . . . complaining to Aaron is NOT making the work get done any faster, and it's just making my life hell. I can only take so much.

(Um -- and one more thing to add to my stress . . . next week I'm going to be 35 weeks, taking care of a nearly-two-year-old, and looking down the barrel at a SIX DAY out-of-town trip for Jim. He leaves Sunday morning and most likely won't be home until late Thursday or even Friday. That doesn't help my mood at all.)

At any rate, here is a clip of what 'the land down under' looks like to date . . . I took the camera down today and did some live video to give you a real feel for what the space looks like. We have carpet now, so it really is almost a 'liveable' area. Jim's TV is being hooked up Monday, the new Media room couch arrives Thursday, and hopefully we'll be all done 'moving in' down there in a matter of weeks. (Cross your fingers for us, PLEASE.)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I move into your basement!? It looks awesome - I can't wait to see it again with all the furniture and everything completed. Good luck during Jim's 6-day trip - I'll be thinking about you - Andy's been gone all of this week and it's killin' me and all I have is a 4 week old!

Becky said...

It looks totally different than the last time we got a glimpse. I love the colors and I can NOT show Doug Jim's media room or our house will be on the market in a hot second.

If you need anything at all next week, just call. Doug will be gone Sunday morning until Thursday night too -- in beautiful Juarez Mexico...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous basement, Heather! I'm jealous!! :-)

Kelly Paynter