Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The First of the Lasts



Yesterday was Meg’s first Last Day of School. I capitalize it because it really is an event in a child’s life . . . one that will be a big day for her each year until she graduates from college in (or around) 2027. Don’t you remember the last day of school? Everyone goofing around, teachers dressed in casual clothing, mom picking you up from school, watching movies all day, yearbooks being signed (in the later years). It was always a fun day that I looked forward to each spring.

The event yesterday was actually not even held at school. Meg’s last visit to her classroom was last Friday, and Mommy, Daddy, Nana, and Papa came in to surprise her with ice cream and a birthday party celebration. My poor summer girls . . . neither will ever get to celebrate her birthday at school. Growing up, I always thought it would stink to have a summer birthday. I loved my day in January when everyone would sing to me and enjoy sugary treats that my mom had brought in for the class. Our girls, they won’t get that experience . . . but Meg’s teacher was kind enough to suggest an early party so that she won’t miss out totally. We obliged and brought in ice cream and goodies – we even sang to Meg and her other summer birthday classmate.

Anyway.

Yesterday we met everyone at a local park and enjoyed a school-wide picnic, complete with a duck pond and a huge playscape. Everyone brought a little something to share for lunch, and we ate and played for two solid hours (side note: the teachers assigned me, the mucho-prego mom, THREE 12 packs of soda to drag to the park. Really? They couldn’t have assigned me chips??)

It was such a great time to see all the kids together . . . and it was a time to look back and remember how little they all were in the beginning. The growth and progress in a two-year-old class is really quite amazing. My girl Meg, she was by far the smallest and youngest back in August, being only 14 months old when school started. Meg attended just one day a week this year because she was such a youngin’. In our one-day adventures, we both made great friends and grew up so much . . . and we had a great time doing it. None of Meg’s teachers ever complained about her behavior, and the comments about Meg throughout the year never focused on her age or the things she couldn’t do (like talk for quite a while!). I think I nearly made Ms. Juli cry when I thanked her for everything she’d done for Meg this year. We loved her, and we couldn’t have asked for a better teacher during Meg’s first year of ‘school.’

Amidst all the reminiscing over the year, I met Meg’s teacher for next year. Ms. Becky seems fantastic, very down-to-earth, very experienced, and a very strong teacher. From my conversation with her, I discovered my kid has a reputation at school. Who knew nearly-two-year-olds had reputations? Meg is tagged as the “Gerber baby” -- “the favorite” -- and “the one we fought to get in our class.” Oh, and I have a reputation, too. How’s that for you? Mine is “the one who always has it all together” . . . and I was quickly asked to become the Room Mom for Ms. Becky’s class.

Is it OK to say that I’m flattered? Because I am. As goofy and corny as it sounds, this is just how I want my life-as-a-mom to go . . . I want my kid to be successful, I want her to be well liked by her teachers and peers, and I want to be involved in her school and her activities. I want my kid to be ‘the favorite.’ And I want to be the ‘room mom’ kinda mom. There, I said it. Some of you already could have guessed that . . . and even if you didn’t guess it, I’m sure it’s no surprise.

Anyway.

Meg has had a great year at school, and it looks like next year is shaping up to be awesome as well. She’ll be attending school two days – Tues/Thurs – which will be great for both her and I. I know she’ll love it, and I know I’ll love the time with just Kate. Do I expect her to come home adding and subtracting or reading from a book? No – no more than I expected her to come home from this year knowing her ABCs. School at this age is so social . . . which, in my opinion, is incredibly important for the development of a young child. She’ll learn a lot next year, I realize . . . and there will most likely be more intellect in her schooling at age two than there was at age one. That is exciting . . . but so is the fact that she’s learning how to take turns, follow directions, and be a positive part of a group setting.

I love her school. I love that she’s going to school at her age. And this time next year, I’ll be looking toward a new year with a kid in the 3-year-old class and one in the Young 2s. Wow. I know that time will fly. For now, we’ll enjoy having Meg home on Fridays. I hope she enjoys it, too . . . I know she’ll miss her preschool family.

Many more ‘lasts’ to come this summer. Our last day as a family of three. Our last day of work on the basement. And, hopefully, Meg’s last diaper will also come along sometime very soon.

3 comments:

The Cibulas said...

Wow! That really makes me feel good about my decision to send Jack to 'school' next year. And congrats to an awesome student and Mommy;)

The Fokens Family said...

I hope you're resting that back of yours Missy...And Miller is a bit jealous of the last picture where Meg is hugging a boy:)
Loved your post..How could Miss Meg not have a good reputation. It's all that hard work you're doing!!
~Erica

Becky said...

Congratulations Meg and Mommy! One year down, only 20 or so more to go :)