Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wake and Bake

That title alone should make you laugh. So will my failed attempt at making cookies (again).

Contrary to the “stoner” that thinks of wake and bake as a usual occurrence, Meg and I made cookies this morning right after breakfast. Still in our jammies, we got out our materials and set out to try chocolate chip cookies this time. My dear cousin’s wife recently posted a yummy-sounding cookie recipe on her blog site (http://mommyisme.blogspot.com), so we thought we’d try it out.

Why is it that her cookies look so perfect from the oven, and mine look totally ridiculous?

We did 3 rounds – one on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (a la Cooking Light), and two on my baking stones. We tried big and small cookies. I took some off the pan right away and cooled them, some I left on the tray and let them cool there. I baked some for 15 minutes, 17 minutes, and 20 minutes.

And none of them seem right! They are too “cakey” – more like little brownies or cakes that cookies. UGH!

When you can’t do something, you should just admit it. Just fold in the towel, and give it a rest. I’m all for giving it the old “college try” – but there comes a point when you just have to say that you cannot do it.

I am starting to reach that point.

Are cookies really this hard? The first batch I made last week (in the C is for Cookie post) were just okay. Jim ate them, but he also drinks soda that has been sitting out overnight (Sorry Jim). I would say he isn’t the best barometer of fine baking. I will boast that my icing was pretty good – so at least I’ve got that going for me. That basically has 2 ingredients (milk and powdered sugar), so I really can’t mess that one up. But the cookies weren’t great, so I wanted to try again. Oh well – not much better luck this time.

I did suck it up today and purchase a package of pre-made cookie dough mix . . . the kind to which you add water, eggs, butter, then go. I know those will turn out. And I’ve got my good icing, so there you go.

I did also find that I can make white-covered-pretzels like a mad woman. They are delicious, and all you do is melt and dip. I’ve made 2 rounds of those so far. THOSE I can give away to neighbors and friends with confidence. I know they won’t stand around in their kitchens laughing at me when they eat the pretzels . . . but, trust me, if I gave out my cookies, they would.

As usual, Meg was a great help. She stirred and licked and smeared all morning as we baked. I guess as long as she is having a good time, the results don’t matter. It’s about spending time with her, and that is the most important thing.

If I try again and am not successful, don’t expect me to post. That’s just too embarrassing. You’ll only hear of future cookie-baking experiences if they have a successful outcome. Wish me luck.

Countdown to Fab-o-Fun Friday: 3 days






1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so sorry the cookies didn't work! Was the cream cheese and margarine soft? Did you cream them completely? Did they at least taste like anything?!

I'm sorry :( I promise to post a pretzel recipe tonight that will be 100% no fail and even the divine Miss M can help. Check in after 8ish and I'll post it for you, but your white chocolate pretzels look yum-O!

:(
B