Sunday, December 16, 2007

November 11, 2007 -- And Then There Were Two

Written about 5 weeks ago . . .

No, no. Not two babies for us. No – as fun as that sounds – we found out at 6 weeks that there is just one more little Dahlby joining us in the summer.

And then there were two pregnant friends – me, and my very bestest childhood friend. We are pregnant together . . . she just told me today. I’m just at 7 weeks (6w5d, to be exact) and she’s 4w1d. We are 2 ½ weeks apart. Life really couldn’t get any sweeter.

This is my dearest friend whom I have known since the 6th grade. We really became good friends in 8th grade, and we’ve pretty much be inseparable ever since. We made it through all of the ups and downs of high school together – hit a brief hiccup in our relationship right as we graduated – and then were back together within a few months to journey into adulthood together.

To say that our lives over these past 17 years have been a little different would be a HUGE understatement. As summer of 1996 approached and we were leaving the halls of East Coweta High School, we each took our own path. For me, it was a road to Athens, then graduation and a job in Atlanta, marriage at 25, graduate school in my mid-twenties, and babies at 28 and (soon to be) 30. For my dear friend, she began her road with marriage and a new family, a move with her young family out west for 5 years, college and her own graduation, a second baby, a move back to Georgia, and a fantastic, rewarding job with her church.

Now, as we both turn 30 in January of 2008 – 17 years after we met in 6th grade – our paths are merging again. We will both be new moms this summer.

Isn’t it funny how life always seems to go full circle?

I love my dear friend with all of my heart. I’m so thrilled that she and her husband (of 11 years!) are going to welcome a third child into their awesome family. I’m delirious that they are taking this big step. And what a step it is for them -- they have 11 year old and a 5 year old daughters. But – she’s always told me – they never really thought they were “done.” Nope, they weren’t. They had one more out there, and we all get to meet her (or I guess it COULD be a boy) in July 2008.

I can’t even believe that we are going to share this fantastic experience together. The only thing I worry about is my ability to be there for her . . . I already want to loan her things, to share with her all the baby stuff that I can . . . but I can’t because I’ll need it, too. I wonder when the babies arrive -- will we be able to be there for each other like we’ve always been? Maybe, and maybe not. Maybe it will be hard for us for a little while . . . but that is OK and, really, to be expected. We both are going to have a lot going on for a little while. It’s certainly nothing that our friendship can’t handle.

Wow – this is really cool news.

Like I said, life is so sweet.

(Sorry, not the best pic, but you get the idea!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I never comment on these things...but thanks for the awesome post! You mean so much to me, and I'm so glad that we're going through this together! I love you! Kristy