Sunday, December 9, 2007

And So it Ends

Holiday Shoots. They’re over. The final two sessions were today. I can pack it up for 2007 and look into the future of a 2008 filled with picture-taking.

Since November first, I’ve done 14 shoots (keep in mind – I really only work weekends – and there have been 6 weekends since early Nov). I’ve created and printed cards for 15 families – totaling 1,090 printed cards. I’ve also finished my site, did our own family shoot and cards, and printed several rounds of holiday prints/gallery wraps for clients to give their family members as gifts.

That’s a LOT of business for my first holiday as a photographer, I think. I even had to turn about ½ dozen people DOWN. People kept calling until this very week . . . I just had to cut it off at some point or else I would be buried and would not enjoy the holiday season with my family. As much as I HATE turning down shoots, it was inevitable . . . I only hope those people come back around sometime in the next year.

It’s been fantastic! The shoots have been fun – every one of them. Each family has their own style, their own ideas, and their own “look” to them . . . which makes for fantastic photos on my portfolio. I’ve met some awesome moms, dads, and (of course) kids. Lots of smiling, laughter, and fun . . . and very very little stress.

Everyone I’ve worked with has been great and so complimentary of what I do. I am very grateful for that. I have enjoyed visiting homes for the 2nd and 3rd times . . . only to find my photographs framed and hanging all over the place. THAT, to me, is the true sign that my work is good. I get a warm feeling each time I see that.

The holiday cards turned out to be quite a business, which was welcomed and a pleasant surprise. I love that these families are sending HD Portraits cards to their loved ones . . . they love my pictures enough to share with the world! I told Jim when I thought about offering the cards . . . some of the reason I did them was just for myself. It’s convenient and great for clients, but some of my motivation was selfish. I love thinking that my own creations are floating out there, all over the country. People are opening the cards in Iowa and Washington and New York, thinking of the senders and enjoying the photos and card. I’m sure they are in displays and card holders all over the place. That is another thing that gives me a warm feeling.

I’m really loving what I do. I wonder what 2008 will hold for me and for HD Portraits. Hopefully continued success and more fantastic photographic experiences.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible. Without you all, it could never have happened. Thanks to Mauri for letting me bust into her house the day after she returned home from the hospital with her newborn. Thanks to Erica for encouraging me to actually charge money, get a website, and create business cards. Thanks to Erin for passing my name to the members of her playgroup. Thanks to the Perrys for suggesting me to the fantastic Aycock family and their wonderful twins. Thanks to every single one of you who recommended me to another friend or family member. I’ve done ZERO advertising, and I’m exactly as busy as I’d like to be.

I feel like a lucky, lucky girl.

And now I’m off to edit those last shoots of the year . . . .

No comments: