Friday, December 14, 2007

Moving On

Written About 8 Weeks Ago . . .

It all started back in mid October – October 21, to be exact. Ironically, it was the same day as the “hell in a handbasket” photo shoot you heard about in a previous blog. On the way home from that shoot . . . as I was contemplating how to make my mistakes up to the family I’d just worked with . . . I stopped at Rite Aid and bought 3 First Response pregnancy tests.

It was the end of the fabulously long “two week window” – as those in infertility-land call it. The “leutal phase” of your menstrual cycle -- the two weeks between ovulation and the ability to take a reasonably accurate pregnancy test. It can be a long, long 14 days. Honestly, that Sunday was NOT quite the end of the two week window for me. The next day – Monday, 10/22 – was. But, I couldn’t wait any longer. I had to know. It was our first attempt at trying to become pregnant again following the miscarriage and one successfully “normal” cycle . . . my body was back to itself, and we were able to try for Baby 3.

I knew I was pregnant. I just did. Our timing was impeccable . . . we’d gotten pregnant with such ease back in the summer . . . I was felling like, “How could I NOT be pregnant?” I couldn’t wait to take my tests. I had previoulsy researched on-line which test was the best at early detection – which was what led to the First Response purchase. Supposedly, they were the best . . . and since I couldn’t wait one more day, I took a chance that the all-knowing creators of internet information were right.

I came home to find Jim and Meg playing in the driveway. I told Jim briefly about how terrible my shoot had gone . . . but, somehow, that was already behind me. I held up the pregnancy tests and said, “I got some pregnancy tests. Should I take one now?” It was noon – so not the best urine for a test (sorry, TMI). But, I had 3 tests in my kit, so why not use one now?

Jim eagerly agreed that I should test. I took the test in our downstairs hall bath. I set it on the shelf and left the room. I think I got a coke or something . . . I told Jim it was early, and we’d have to wait the recommended three minutes.

Then I went back in there and only saw one line, dark and prominent.

I said out loud, “Ohhhh . . . I’m not pregnant.”

I showed the test to Jim. We both took another look.

The second line was there. Very faint . . . getting oh-so-slightly darker.

“Do you think I’m pregnant?” I asked.
“I don’t know . . .” said Jim.
“You can’t get a false positive . . . and that’s another line . . .” I replied.

Jim opened another test so that we could compare an unused test to ours. We were afraid that maybe the line was slightly there to begin with . . . so our test was probably negative.

The unused test was TOTALLY white.

Jim jumped on the computer, looking up “faint line on pregnancy test” and other such topics. He found all kinds of information I didn’t want to hear about . . . eptopic pregnancy, post-miscarriage false positives . . . I just wanted to believe that I WAS pregnant. Jim also found information saying, basically, a line is a line is a line. No false positives are possible . . . that I was, in fact, pregnant.

I called my parents to tell them what was going on. My dad was confused. Jim’s mom happened to be coming in town that afternoon, so we showed her the test when she got to our house. She too, wasn’t sure.

I spent the rest of the day thinking I probably WAS pregnant, but not sure. We had decided to wait until the next morning to take another test and hope the line was darker.

We didn’t make it until the next morning.

At about 10 o’clock that night – 10 hours after the first test – I made Jim go to Walgreens and get me a digital pregnancy test. Those read “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant” – there is no guesswork involved. My only worry was that it was still too early in the pregnancy to tell if I really was pregnant.

Jim came home with a box of 2 tests. He took one out of the box and handed it directly to me. Jim’s mom (still visiting with us that night) was standing right there . . . and I love her, I do, but I wanted to take the test in privacy . . . without everyone waiting outside the door. I made a casual remark about doing it when I was finished with something else . . . then I ran upstairs and took it.

I knew I was pregnant.

“Pregnant” came back right away.

I took it down stairs and showed Jim (and his mom). We smiled . . . I felt like my face might explode . . . and we were satisfied in knowing that yes, I AM pregnant. We went to bed that night very, very happy.

The next morning, I took another First Response test. The same faint pink line . . . I was just curious if anything might change. (Incidentally, I took the 3rd and final test about 2 days later – the line was finally darker.)

I also called the doctor that Monday morning, and they saw me that very same day. My doctor was fantastic . . . he peeked his head in my examining room door, looked from my chart to me and said, “Clearly, you have no problem getting pregnant.”

Music to my ears.

They did blood work twice that 4th week of the pregnancy, and everything was normal. They scheduled our first ultrasound for 6 weeks. I asked if they would see me again at 9 weeks – the point at which the last baby died – and they assured me they would. If for no actual medical purpose, they’d see me to help put my mind at east. My doctor said, “We’ll get you there.” I love him.

I kept thinking that, as long as I get through the next few months, I’ll feel great. I actually felt GREAT about everything that entire 4th week. The 5th week I was a little shakey and super anxious about the ultrasound.

If I’ve posted this blog, then we’ve made it to 12 blissful weeks. I’m not shakey any more.

I think that, after I post this blog, I’ll go out in my yard and scream, “I’m pregnant!!” My neighbors know me well enough by now to know I’m not too crazy. Heck, I don’t think any of them are home during the day, anyway.

Here’s to July 1, 2008. Here’s to Baby Dahlby # 3.

No comments: