Saturday, December 15, 2007

November 6, 2007 -- The Woods

Written about 6 weeks ago . . .

Today I am six weeks pregnant. Today we saw the heartbeat for the first time. Today was a great day.

Yet, I realize we are not totally out of the woods.

When I took the pregnancy test 2 weeks ago, I was so confident that this baby was going to stick. I’m still that confident – I really am – but I just don’t want to take anything for granted. Naturally, I began to worry a little more as this doctor’s appointment approached – will it be all right? Will there be a heartbeat? Will it be good and strong?

Yes, yes, and yes. I feel so much better today.

I realize that each day that goes by is one step closer to begin out of those dreaded and figurative “woods” we are in, and I am trying to take it just one day at a time. I have to remember that the chances of us having another miscarriage are NOT likely – not any more likely that the chances we had the first time. Sure, 1 in 4 women miscarry . . . but I’m looking at that like 75% of women DON’T miscarry.

Our doctor said to us today, “Well, I guess we can just start calling you Mr and Mrs Fertility, right?” Wow. I guess we are pretty fertile. THAT is the silver lining.

We are scheduled to see the doctor again in 3 weeks for another ultrasound. And about 3 weeks after that – on Dec 14 – we will go in for the 12 week appointment. THAT is a big milestone for this baby. 12 blissful weeks. I’ll be able to push the branches aside and leap from the woods. I think that will be a truly fantastic day.

And after that day, just 28 more weeks to go.

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

So, so, so happy for you and your family! Congratulations!