Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Welcome Home, Daddy


Jim is home this week. ALL week. It's a rare treat around the Dahlby house to have Daddy around each and every night. 13 consecutive days of Jim and all his fantasticness. I'm getting spoiled.

Tonight, the girls and I were playing in the basement when we heard the garage door open, indicating Daddy's return home from work (he does have an office to go to when he's home, no working from home for this guy). Meg knew instantly that Daddy was home, and Kate beelined it for the staircase in order to catch Dad on his way down. It was so fun to see them flock to their father. He picked up Kate and gave her a big smile (which she eagerly returned). Meg hugged his leg and started in with some information about what we'd been doing all day. It was a classic, happy family scene.


I thought to myself, "Is this what it would be like if Jim came home to us EVERY night?"


Sadly, that is not the case. He travels, and -- as I say often -- it is what it is. I'll just lather up in the few weeks he is home each year, and I'll take advantage of having a 'normal' family lifestyle for as long as it lasts.


Which, incidentally, isn't going to be that long. When Jim leaves again next Wednesday, the 15th, we are most likely not going to lay eyes on him again until the 28th or 29th. *Sigh* Gotta love 'go live'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls are 6 & 8 and are ALWAYS so thrilled when daddy comes home from work. It's as if they have never seen him before. My husband doesn't travel for his job, so a warm welcoming like this every night must thrill him! Glad that Jim is home this week. I'm sure this gives you a break. :)

Keisha said...

Tim gets that reception every day! Can you imagine how good that must feel? To have two people so happy to see you EVERY TIME you walk in the door? Hmmm, kinda makes me think I should go back to work! ;)