Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'll Take My Breakfast in Pink, Please

We make pancakes nearly every weekend around our house. Jim is the breakfast chef, and Meg is right beside him to help sir the batter and add the cinnamon. On a very special occasion (or if Meg just happens to catch me in a good mood), I'll even bust out some pancakes mid-week. After all, kids love pancakes. I hope my girls grow up with many memories of pancake breakfasts at their house.



And -- with the way pancakes are being made around here these days -- they are sure to be some serious memory makers.



It all started back about a month ago, when I took my dad for a biopsy and he returned home to my house to recover for the night. He was able to eat, but since his biopsy was in his throat and some cauterization (burning) was required, he was pretty sore. He requested eggs for dinner; something easy to swallow for him. I said I'd make pancakes, too, and we'd all have breakfast for dinner.




That evening, I decided to fancy things up a bit, and I added a little red food coloring to our pancake batter. I knew that would produce some pretty pink pancakes . . . something that Meg was sure to get a kick out of.




BOY -- did she ever.




Since that evening, we've had pink pancakes, purple pancakes, purple french toast (Jim pulled that one off), blue pancakes, red/white/blue pancakes, and green pancakes. During our bright green breakfast on a radom Wednesday morning a week ago, Meg declared: "We almost forgot to make yellow pancakes. And orange!"




I guess we are crossing off the rainbow, one pancake breakfast at a time.



It's the little things like this that make having a house full of kids so much stinkin' fun.

No comments: