Friday, July 17, 2009

Homeward Bound

Why is it that when someone dies, you feel the need to clean everything?

Well, that's what I'm about to start doing. Me and the girls, we are headed to Newnan today to help my dad do some major cleaning and reorganizing over the next 5 days. The house -- my parents house -- needs some work, and we might as well get started so that when it's time to sell it, we'll be ready.

Last summer, Jim's grandfather died, and they were out cleaning his 'shop' (where he worked) within just a few days of his funeral. I remember thinking then, "Why are they cleaning that out so fast? What's the rush?"

But now here I am, one year later, doing exactly the same thing. Going home to clean out my parents house. Maybe it's therapeutic? I don't know.

1 comment:

Keisha said...

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your dad. I remember when Mom was packing stuff up to move from their old house, she was trying to pack up my dad's clothes to take to Goodwill. She just couldn't do it ... so I had to. It was one of the hardest things I've ever endured. But somewhat therapuetic at the same time ... saying goodbye ...