Wednesday, July 22, 2009

On a Lighter Note



I've realized over the past week or so that my dad is the KING of syndicated television. Seriously, if they crowned someone for watching the most syndicated television in this country, my dad would win, hands down.



My father watches all of the old tv sitcoms that are on TV Land, Nick at Nite, TBS, the CW . . . you know what I'm talking about. They are the reruns that are always on, any time of day. Ever watch WHO really watches those? Um, my dad.

And my dad does not just watch Friends or Seinfeld . . . the most popular ones that you, yourself, probably enjoy on a Sunday afternoon or at 11:30pm on a Wednesday. He watches . . . in no particular order . . .


George Lopez
That 70s Show
Friends
Cheers
Just Shoot Me
Seinfeld
Two and a Half Men
Still Standing
Home Improvement
Yes, Dear
All in the Family
King of Queens
I Love Lucy
Everybody Loves Raymond
Frasier



He tivos them, knows which shows come on when, and he watches them all. Even if he's seen the episode a dozen times already. Lately, he found that there were NO sitcoms on that he'd not seen a million times . . . so the man went searching for some new shows he had not seen during their original broadcast time. That's when George Lopez and That 70s Show came into play . . . he didn't watch those when they were originally on the air, so all of the reruns are like new to him. A syndicated TV guy's dream, I guess.



I guess the man does have some limits. The Nanny and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air are two that he won't tolerate.



You know one of the things that bothered my dad the most when he was in the hospital back in April? The fact that the hospital did not get TBS or Nickelodeon on the in-room TVs . . . so he missed many of his shows, which made he stay seem so much longer.




Yes, my dad has a job. He's an independent sales contractor for an air freight company (aka -- he's in trade show logistics), but he works from home. He makes his own schedule. And, aside from a few sales calls here and there, he's mostly on the phone (sort of) or on the computer. His lifestyle supports his syndicated TV habit, no doubt. He's a guy sitting around, waiting for emails or for the phone to ring . . . what else is there to do but watch old reruns on TV?




I find myself watching them, too, especially after a long stay with my dad. I guess they are a little addicting, in a way.



What's on top of the list right now? That 70s Show, I guess. It's pretty funny . . . and when you get to know the characters, it's even funnier.




Anyway, in the midst of all that is going on at our house, I thought I'd post on a 'light' topic. We are all hanging in there, just taking things one day at a time. I'm still hopping back and forth between my house and my dad's house, but after Monday, I think that will stop. Three weeks of this seems to be my limit, and my girls are really ready to return to some semblance of routine. Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers. We are working on moving forward.

1 comment:

Keisha said...

That 70s Show is still one of my favorites!! BTW, we will be by in the morning with your breakfast casserole. One to eat and one to freeze. Love to you!!