Thursday, January 8, 2009

She Thinks She's So Smart

"Look Meg, all the snow has melted," I said as we drove home from one of our Christmas outings in Iowa. The day had been unseasonably warm -- mid 40s -- so the massive amounts of snow and snow drifts were turning into puddles and minature lakes all around town.

"Yeah. It melted. Just like the Wicked Witch," was Meg's response.


Guess we've watched The Wizard of Oz around here a few times.

__________________________________________


"What happened when Sleeping Beauty ate the poison apple?" Papa Dahlby asked Meg while playing together one morning last month.

"No! Not Sleeping Beauty! That's Snow White!" Meg exclaimed, very exasperated.

Please, don't mix up your Princess stories around Meg. She can't stand the ignorance. God help you if you think Ariel fell in love with the Beast.

_________________________________________

On a recent visit to my parents, Meg wandered out of her bedroom in the middle of the night and found a cozy piece of hallway carpeting to sleep on. My poor father was terrified when he woke up to find her sleeping in the hall the next morning. All was well . . . but she'd gotten up, turned on the bedroom light, put on her slippers, grabbed her baby, and wandered into the hall way. Who knows why she fell asleep just outside of my parents (wide open) bedroom door.


The next night, my dad put a kid-proof doorknob cover on the inside of the bedroom door to prevent more late night excursions on Meg's part.


The following morning, my dad asked Meg, "Did you wake up in the middle of the night again?"

"Yeah," Meg answered.
"No you didn't . . . Grandaddy didn't hear you," my dad said, thinking Meg was exaggerating and not really telling the truth.
"I did. I did get up," Meg assured him.
"Did you try to leave the room?" Grandaddy asked.
Meg's retort: "Yes, but you put something on the door."
Oh JEEZ. She had gotten up after all. Glad the kid-proof knob cover was actually kid-proof.

__________________________________


A screaming Kate was terribly hungry as we pulled into a Wal Mart parking lot during one of our holiday shopping adventures. She was due to eat . . . we'd been running around . . . and Kate had had enough of the waiting for her meal. She was not going to let up until she was satisfied.


"Meg, Mommy's gonna have to feed Kate before we do our shopping," I said to my buddy in the back seat as we looped the aisles, looking for a parking spot.


"Well, you're gonna have to find somewhere to sit down," Meg informed me.


I laughed out loud. I've fed Kate enough in public that Meg now knows our routine.

__________________________________


"I want to put on my fairy wings," Meg requested as we played dress up together earlier this week. I say 'together' because I help her in and out of the outfits . . . not because I dress up with her. I would, but she barks at me every time I try to put on her crowns or her plastic jewlery. I guess she doesn't want to see me in her garb (or doesn't like sharing is probably more like it).



I helped Meg into her wings . . . and her fairy skirt . . . with a tutu on top . . . and two boas . . . two plastic bracelets . . . some Cinderella plastic shoes . . . and a Belle crown. And one plastic ring to top it all off.



"You look so pretty! What do you want to do now?" I asked as I giggled at her get-up.



Meg turned toward the Media room and said, "I want to play Guitar Hero now."



Crikey.

No comments: