Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Check One Thing Off the List

32 weeks today . . . and, according to Dr Graham (who I saw yesterday), I have about 5-6 weeks to go. He told me to anticipate having Kate at about the same point I had Meg, which was 37 weeks.

I've kinda already started thinking that way. I swear, if this girlie cooks 'til 40 weeks, I'm not going to know what to do with myself.


Blood pressure? Good.
Measurements? Great.
Weight? No problems.
Kate's Heart Rate? In the 150s, so perfect.

Dr Graham, in his infinite wisdom, gave me some parenting advice yesterday . . . along with the normal belly measure and heart-beat symphony we do on every visit. He's got 3 kids of his own, so I'll TAKE the advice he gives . . . the dude knows what he's talking about. Dr Graham told me to be extra prepared for Kate's arrival. Stock up on diapers, wash everything now, make all my arrangements way ahead of time. Get the car seat out, put the bottles in the cabinet, buy ALL my necessities.

"You're in the home stretch now . . . you should be in those final stages of preparation, " were his words, I believe.

He happily reminded me that life is going to be a lot harder with TWO. Get as much done now because when Kate arrives at her beautiful home, it's promptly going to be turned upside down.

GREAT. As if I don't feel the pressure already.


Today, the paint job in Kate's nursery was completed (thanks to the help of our contractor and his guys). It looks good . . . a little ceiling touch up might be necessary, but it's tolerable for now and WAY better looking than if I'd done it myself.

So, today I checked one thing off the list. Next step is to put the furniture back (on tap for tomorrow) and clean the place up. It's a wreck in there . . . plaster everywhere, paint supplies littering the floor, dust and dirt collecting the bathroom.


And by the end of the weekend, I hope to have put the room back together and 'moved in' to the space. We'll see how far I get with that.


As for the rest of that stuff . . . the diaper stock-up, clothes washing, and random baby prep will just have to take place in between toddler duty and HD Portraits over the next few weeks. Jim told me today that he'll stop traveling on May 30th . . . so whatever I don't get done this month I can get a little help with once he's home for a while.

That is, of course, unless Kate decides to suprise us with an even-earlier-than-expected arrival.

One thing off the list today . . . many, many more to go.





(Oh -- and the neopolitan ice cream? That's what the paint job in Kate's room looks like. There is a crisp white chair railing circling the room that separates a baby-pink top from a creamy khaki-brown bottom. When you see the pictures, you'll know exactly what I mean. Thanks to Tricia -- my very insightful friend -- for helping me to put a name on what I was thinking of the entire time I was painting!)

No comments: