Wednesday, April 2, 2008

28 Weeks and Counting . . .


Yesterday was my 28 week check up, complete with the sugar-high-head-rush I received from my orange soda glucose test. Lucky for me, my doctor provided me with the tasty beverage at my last appointment, so I’ve had it in the fridge, waiting to be consumed on my drive in for the 28 wk appointment. MMMM . . .yummy. A blast of orange at 8:40am. At least I could drink it on the ride and not have to sit and wait that entire post-beverage hour at the doctor’s office.

I passed the sugar test with flying colors . . . the sugar level cut off is 135, and I rang in at 111. My iron count was great, too. Whew. One more hurdle in the road to Kate Allison that we’ve successfully navigated.

I gained ZERO pounds between 24 and 28 weeks, which is – as strange as it sounds – really good. I had put on quite a big a chunk between 20 and 24 weeks, but it seemed to be SO much that I honestly thought the scale could be incorrect. I know – we ALL want to think the scale at the doctor’s office couldn’t possibly be right. But, in this case, it seemed off . . . yesterday, the nurse went back and looked at my progression and agreed that the last measurement was probably off by at least 5 pounds or so. Whew, again.

So here we are, 28 weeks and counting. 28 weeks behind us, 12 or less in front of us. I feel like we are turning the corner into the home stretch.

How do I feel, you ask? Well, thank you for asking. I feel pregnant. My tummy is now at the point where I must split my legs to bend down (or kick a leg up behind me), and I can’t sit very lady-like unless my feet are up with my ankles crossed. I’m sleeping a bit better lately, but the heartburn is getting a bit worse. My hair has a mind of it’s own . . . it’s SO think and long, I can barely manage it. I’m going to have it whacked on Friday. Whew, yet again.

When people ask me how the 2nd pregnancy compares to the first, I always say that my body is a bit more . . . I don’t know . . . ‘ready’ for the pregnancy. It seems like it remembers how to stretch, what to do, where everything should go. The good news is that there seem to be a few less aches and pains . . .but the bad news is some of the not-so-great stuff (heartburn, constipation, sleepless nights) has started earlier than it did with Meg. I felt like $1 mil up until about 34 weeks with Meg . . . all the way through the end of the school year (I was teaching then, if you remember). This time, my ‘uncomfortables’ set in at about 25 weeks.

It’s all OK, though. There really isn’t much to complain about. I just wish I had been forewarned that this would happen. So – you mom’s of one out there – take note of what you might can expect the next time around and be prepared.

I’m a little paranoid that I’m going to put myself into preterm labor or something because I’m so much more physically active in this pregnancy that I was before. Chasing Meg, loading her in the car, crawling on the floor with her, dancing in dance class, going to the park . . . it’s all a lot more than I did last time around. Dr Graham told me NOT to worry – I’m fine – and worst case scenario, the baby isn’t going to fall out, and I’ll have time to get to him so he can take care of me. (Have I mentioned how much I love Dr Graham?)

We are really getting excited around here. No baby showers or anything (just not needed!!), but we did budget a ‘Kate fund’ for this month so that I could go out and get some of the staples I think we’ll need when Kate comes home. We are making travel plans for the Dahlbys to be around soon after the arrival and then again for an extended period later in July. The nursery is coming together, but I need to MAKE myself finish the painting here in the next week or so . . .before it gets hot and before I get too big. I even have things monogrammed already. I can’t wait for this baby.

Each day is one day closer. My ticker reads ’80 days to go’ today . . . which makes me suck in my breath a little. 80 days sounds SOON. Well, I guess it is soon.

We’re ready for you, Baby Kate. When you’re ready for us, you’ll let us know.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Beautiful photo and great update. We can't wait to meet Kate!!

The Cibulas said...

I am so happy for you! And you and Kate look GREAT!!

Heather Dahlby said...

Ahh -- if you only saw the full photo -- you can see it on my flickr site if you want to -- but no ugly comments!!