Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Those are the Fun Shoots

Sometimes, when I go on a photo shoot, the moms and dads are really into it. They help me make the baby laugh, they act silly, and they are game for anything I throw at them. THOSE are fun shoots. But sometimes, the families just aren’t up for the shenanigans and antics it takes to make their kid laugh. They expect me to do more than I think I am physically able to do . . . simultaneously make JR laugh, tickle him and be goofy, AND snag the perfect portrait. THOSE are the hard shoots.

This past Saturday (pre-Blackout and our trip to Newnan), I had one of the FUN shoots. I always leave those with a smile on my face and the thought in my mind, “This is the greatest gig ever.”

The shoot was for a friend that I worked with in my (short lived) life as a teacher. She’s fantastic – fun, fully of energy – someone you really enjoy being around. She’s also who I have to give the credit to for pushing me to start HD Portraits. After taking pictures of her with her cute little 7 week old son, she encouraged me to start a website and get business cards so that she could recommend me to her friends. She’s a great friend.

Need-less-to-say, when she wanted to do a Holiday Shoot with me, I was thrilled. She’s and her husband are both beautiful people, and her baby boy is just precious. I knew a chance to work with them would be fun . . . I knew the pictures would be great, and I knew that I’d be able to give her great photos she could keep forever. (And, selfishly, I love to have beautiful people in my portfolio!!)

I just didn’t know it would be so fun to work with them!

From the second I arrived, both my friend and her husband were smiley, happy – excited to do the shoot. My friend was bustling around the house, getting baby ready, while dad was making himself some breakfast and joking around with me. I felt comfortable and relaxed . . . which was a relief because I’d been nervous about the shoot. (I seem to always get extra nervous when I’m working with friends.) They put me at ease right away, and I was looking forward to getting down to business.

I have to speak about the husband/dad a bit because . . . well, as husbands/dads go in my business, he’s A #1. I’ve worked with dads that are NOT into the whole picture thing, which certainly makes my job harder. I’ve worked with dads that are cooperative, but I can tell they just don’t care at all. And, there are lots of times when dad might pop in his head, help us move furniture, but that’s it. To work with this particular dad last weekend was super fun because HE was super fun. He was so willing to work with me and his wife a baby . . . as if he, too, will appreciate the pictures we take. He sang to the baby . . . . he sang funny little Spanish songs he seemed to be making up as he went along. He smiled for ALL the pictures. He sat with his son happily for some daddy-baby shots. He moved and posed any which way I suggested without so much as a scoff. He was great. He made me laugh many times! I wish all the dads that I worked with were like him.

The whole family was great. Now I can’t wait to edit their pictures because I’m so excited to show them what we captured in our fun time together. That seems to happen . . . when the shoot goes well and I have a great time, I’m anxious to get the pictures edited. When it goes the other way, I tend to procrastinate and avoid editing (like that does me any good).

I’ve given it some thought (can you tell?) . . . and I think what it narrows down to is respect. Respect for me, my time, and my talent as a photographer. I don’t think I always get it – and I’m not SO demanding of it, but a little goes a long way to encouraging me to do the best work I can do. When the parents are fun and really working with me on the shoot, I feel that there is a certain level of respect they are offering me. Like, “We are so glad you are here to work with us, we want to make it as enjoyable for everyone as we can.” When they just expect me to come in and be a miracle worker, I feel a bit like I’m being taken advantage of. As if I’m just a work-horse there to do their pictures and get out.

Is that weird that I look at it that way?

I guess you could also look at it like this: if they make the job easy and fun, then it’s great. I HATE it when it is like pulling teeth to get the kid to pay attention and smile and when mom/dad don’t seem to have any tricks to help me out. It’s not supposed to be that hard for me . . .and I know it shouldn’t be that hard because of great shoots like this weekend.

This one is for you, Erica. Thanks for making my job so fun and rewarding. I hope you enjoy your pictures!

2 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

We're blushing:) Love the picture..can't wait to see more.
~E

The Cibulas said...

Too cute! Im sure you had a great time with such a great family. I would love to see the picutres of little M too!